Come join our growing Digital Platform Group (DPG) with McGraw-Hill. You’ll create innovative, digital learning solutions in an environment that feels like a startup, but has the foundation of a successful EdTech company. Contributing to this group means you’ll utilize state-of-the-art technologies to deliver intuitive learning experiences. We build data-driven digital products that are used by millions of students around the globe. As both our business and the EdTech space quickly evolve, we need hard-working, passionate people to be a part of our dynamic team.
LearnSmart team is looking for an experienced, innovative, strategic Software Engineer to join the team responsible for implementing the next generation of Learning Applications in our Boston, MA office. Our current stack is constituted of Angular applications, Node APIs, build in Jenkins, containerized deployment in ECS, and hosting in AWS with infrastructure provisioned using terraform. The development team is in full control of the infrastructure, leveraging self-serve tools. The focus of this role is on building new APIs and micro-services meant to serve millions of learners using our new line of products. Do you love system design? Are you able to write APIs from scratch? Are you passionate about robust and elegant solutions that scale to serve millions of learners? This team is for you! #LI-LL2
Your contribution to the team includes:
· Hands-on software development using TypeScript, modern frameworks and third party/open-source libraries.
· Cross discipline advocate who can ensure on-time delivery across engineering, user experience, product management, system administration, and release management.
· Research technology issues and work with teams staff to understand and resolve challenges.
· Work collaboratively with Product Management and PMO to define scope.
· Prototype with emerging technologies to prove product feature sets and enhance SDLC.
· Drive the adoption of conventions and best practices for back-end development.
· Ensure instrumentation and coverage metrics are addressed.
· Expertise with distributed version control systems (e.g, git, svn, mercurial, accurev or similar).
· Expertise with DDD and data modeling.
· Expertise with REST.
· Participate in code reviews.
What you’ll need to be successful:
· BS/MS degree in Mathematics, Computer Science or equivalent (i.e. Information Technology).
· 2+ Years relevant experience.
· Experience developing RESTful web services in NodeJS.
· Full stack engineering experience, with strong system fundamentals.
· Familiarity with the Agile methodology and tracking tools (e.g., Rally, Jira, Pivotal or similar).
· Working knowledge of client/server and related technology environments.
· Prior employment, volunteer or intern experience.
· Motivated self-starter and team player.
· Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to collaborate with teams.
· Excellent verbal and written communications.
· Ability to think ‘outside the box’ and work in a fast-paced environment and eager about the digital transformation of education.