Fueled by a fundamental belief that having access to financial services creates opportunity, PayPal (NASDAQ: PYPL) is committed to democratizing financial services and empowering people and businesses to join and thrive in the global economy. Our open digital payments platform gives PayPal’s 210 million active account holders the confidence to connect and transact in new and powerful ways, whether they are online, on a mobile device, in an app, or in person. Through a combination of technological innovation and strategic partnerships, PayPal creates better ways to manage and move money, and offers choice and flexibility when sending payments, paying or getting paid. Available in more than 200 markets around the world, the PayPal platform, including Braintree, Venmo and Xoom enables consumers and merchants to receive money in more than 100 currencies, withdraw funds in 56 currencies and hold balances in their PayPal accounts in 25 currencies.
This team builds and manages the messaging platform that enables asynchronous communication across loosely integrated systems for all of PayPal. This platform serves a variety of SLA requirements that span the entire spectrum of messaging and streaming – from lossless transactional (aka ACID) messaging (zero data loss) to low-latency messaging (in milliseconds) and high throughput streaming (6M+ messages per sec and growing). If you are excited about pushing a Kafka cluster that streams around 500 billion events per day to go beyond 1 trillion events per day, then this team is a perfect match for you. If you believe in building services whose Quality-Of-Service (QoS) parameters should be as easy as adjusting the dials of a thermostat, then this team is your destination.
You will work on building & managing products from the ground up as well as identifying exciting new open-source components/technologies and hardening them (99.999%) to scale at the levels expected of PayPal’s platform services.
- Develop infrastructure for management and operation of PayPal’s next generation messaging systems
- Analyze, Engineer and improve stability, efficiency, and scalability of the platform
- Work closely with Architects, lead engineers and business on product design and features.
- Prototype ideas quickly using cutting edge technologies
Qualifications and Requirements
- Master’s degree or equivalent in computer science or related field or Bachelor's with a minimum of 4-6 years of directly related work experience.
- Experience with Unix/ Linux and shell scripting
- Experience of developing large distributed systems using core Java or C++ or Scala
- Experience in at least one scriptinglanguage such as Python or Ruby.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Motivated and interested delivering results, especially in the area of writing high-performance, reliable and maintainable code.
- Ability to adapt to new development environments, changing business requirements and learning new systems highly desired.
- Experience with large distributed services is a plus as is building/operating highly available systems
- Good team player, able to effectively work across multiple teams on solutions that have complex dependencies and requirements in a fast-paced environment
We're a purpose-driven company whose beliefs are the foundation for how we conduct business every day. We hold ourselves to our One Team Behaviors which demand that we hold the highest ethical standards, to empower an open and diverse workplace, and strive to treat everyone who is touched by our business with dignity and respect. Our employees challenge the status quo, ask questions, and find solutions. We want to break down barriers to financial empowerment. Join us as we change the way the world defines financial freedom.
PayPal provides equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, PayPal will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.