Software Engineer in Test
Blackboard helps shape the future of education by delivering technology and services solutions that transform the learning experience. We continually innovate to better enable educators, parents, and learners of all types to teach, learn, connect and communicate whenever they want and wherever they are. We partner with educational institutions globally in the higher education, K-12 and professional education markets to improve the education experience both inside and outside the classroom by facilitating access to information, enabling stronger student engagement and collaboration, enhancing communication, and supporting student safety, success and institutional effectiveness. Most importantly, we help every student achieve their full potential through access to lifelong learning.
Blackboard’s Engineering Productivity team works very closely with the Development, Design and Product Management teams, as well as the larger PD team to solve a wide variety of technology challenges and provide support for test, development and execution against Blackboard’s new feature and legacy applications. Using both industry standard processes and cutting edge technologies, our team works in a dynamic fast-paced environment to deliver new software releases.
The candidate will have 2-5yearsexperience in software development and 1-2years of automated application testing and programmingexperience:
- Builds, maintains and improves Blackboard’s Automated testing frameworks
- Evaluates industry trends, new practices, tools, and methodologies to identify and implement those appropriate to advance Blackboard’s automation infrastructure, tools and processes
- Develops and implements automated test standards across the department to ensure consistency in programming and engineering practices
- Works with developers to design, implement, and optimize CI/CD pipelines for various applications, including large and microservice architecture types
- Works with development managers, engineers and other technical teams to collect requirements and develop technical designs for automated frameworks and tests
- Has knowledge and capability for estimating LOE for software development projects
- Has developed new tests and maintained existing tests across multiple platforms and toolsets
- Ability to provide training and support to larger EP team on automated test frameworks, complex configurations and execution support techniques
- Pays close attention to detail and solves complex problems with simple solutions and common sense
- Has independence, self-drive and creativity
- Quickly earns the respect and trust of otherdevelopers
- Experience in building automated test frameworks and and test suites for web applications
- Experience with one or more automation frameworks
- Experience with Selenium Web Driver including writing and debugging tests and knowledge of the Page Object Model
- Experience in analyzing the DOM hierarchy
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
- Has the capability to configure and support test environments for automation or manual test development and execution
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work in a cross functional team
- Computer Science or similar degree or appropriate experience that would make the candidate effective in the role.
- Experience with GIT
- Experience with Bamboo, Jenkins, or other Continuous delivery software
- Experience with Unix / Linux
- Experience analyzing code coverage of automated tests and static code analysis
- Previous experience in the education industry and e-learning technologies