We’re looking for a Software Engineer in Test to help us shape the future of education. With nearly 20,000 organizational customers and millions of student users, Blackboard is the world's leading education technology company with the industry's most comprehensive student-success solutions. Our mission is to partner with the global education community to enable student and institutional success by leveraging innovative technologies and services.
This role focuses on our Blackboard Transact™ platform which helps improve student experience and campus safety, while streamlining business operations and increasing revenue. The Blackboard Transact platform includes capabilities within two integrated modules:
- Commerce Management: facilitates campus ID card issuance, cashless payment processing, account management and reporting on-campus, off-campus, and online.
- Security Management: monitors all campus activity using integrated door access control, video surveillance and mass notification capabilities.
As a member of our QA team, you’ll focus on providing support for test development and execution against Blackboard’s new feature and legacy system releases. As Software Engineer in Test, you will be responsible for collaborating with agile development teams and providing cutting edge automated testing solutions in an Azure cloud environment. You will develop the test strategy for features, incorporating the right balance of unit, integration, and UI tests. You will also work with manual testers to ensure the applications are reliable, usable, accessible, and scalable.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Participating in product design, development, and testing decisions
- Contributing technical and process leadership by researching and implementing industry best practices
- Working with other Software Engineers and SETs to create automation frameworks and assist in the build-out of development pipelines
- Building and maintaining tooling for test development, coverage, and results
- Communicating with product and technical stakeholders
- Contributing to the team’s efficiency and effectiveness through continuous improvement and good software practices
- Has light technical experience in developing test automation
- Proficiency developing tests from specifications
- Proficiency developing product-independent tests and functional libraries
- Strong experience with webdriver tools (Selenium, Capybara, and Puppeteer)
- Familiarity with test framework design patterns and best practices
- Expertise with programming languages like C# or Java and scripting languages
- Experience with test frameworks (JUnit, NUnit, Mocha, RSpec, or similar)
- Experience working with source controls, environments, build tools, and deployments (Git, Jenkins, Jira, Docker, Artifactory, Kubernetes)
- Has a collaborative mindset with strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Is a self-directed learner who seeks out new challenges and opportunities to express creativity and initiative
- Has strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Is familiar with issue tracking, testing techniques, and operating systems
- Has a strong interest in continual improvement
- Experience with load-performance testing of web-based applications and RESTful APIs is preferred
- Experience with accessibility and/or security testing is a plus
The Team & Office:
Blackboard has an office in the ever-evolving, industrial Deer Valley area in north Phoenix, AZ.
- Endless nearby places to eat lunch or dinner with the team from In-N-Out Burger, P.F. Chang’s, and Chili’s, to OM Indian Bistro, Jo Jo’s Pizza, and Other Q Sports Bar and Grill
- Accessible via Valley Metro Bus and building offers free parking for employees
- A short distance from Deem Hills Recreation Area