Our Fortune 500 company is driving a digital transformation and looking for forward-thinking innovators to disrupt how our industry thinks about and uses technology. As one of the world's leading employee benefits providers, we help millions of people gain affordable access to benefits that help them protect their families, their finances and their futures.
Are you an asker of questions, a solver of problems, and a challenger of the status quo? Our mission is to provide a differentiated customer experience and exceed the expectations people have of technology at any company — not just insurers.
We are seeking individuals to join our team of talented IT professionals who share never-ending passion and an unwavering focus on our customer experience. Team members comfortable working in an agile, fast-paced, and delivery-focused environment thrive in our environment where we value an entrepreneurial spirit and those who challenge the status-quo.
Unum is changing, and we’re excited about what’s next. Join us.
Software Engineer 2 are responsible for the building and/or configuration of software solutions within their business portfolio with little to no oversight and exhibit a mastery of the application and technical skillset subject matter expertise for their area of responsibility. They ensure software is delivered to high quality standards by collaborating with their agile team members and by leveraging unit testing and continuous integration. They are able to accurately estimate work required to deliver software features. They use critical thinking skills applied to solution design and implementation for the delivery of business value. The Software Engineer 2 role may mentor Software Engineers and Associate Software Engineers.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for the estimation, design, implementation, and maintenance of new and existing features for the existing portfolio of applications for a business area. Able to complete complex feature development tasks.
- Responsible for communication and collaboration with key stakeholders in the delivery of features
- Design, codes, configures, unit tests, maintains, and documents software deliverables using agreed upon standards and tools. Leads sizing and estimation activities within the agile team.
- Communicates daily with the Scrum Master or Team Lead and the Agile team on progress made and planned progress for the coming day and reports any impediments that are blocking their progress
- Participates in code reviews and sprint retrospectives; ensuring their ideas for team continuous improvement are communicated so that the overall process and team can improve sprint by sprint and readily receives feedback for self-improvement. May lead parts of same.
- Focuses on delivering business priority and value at all times
- Responsible for ensuring the quality of existing and new features through both manual and automated testing and use of continuous integration techniques, where practical
- Demonstrates an interest in software architectures and seeks to design solutions in alignment with Company stated architecture and standards
- Leads proof of concept work and prototyping when necessary
- Collaborates with Business Analysts to confirm understanding of business requirements relating to features to be delivered and to help the Business Analyst define requirements that can be delivered from a technical perspective
- Collaborates with User Experience (UX) designers to ensure designs produced can be translated efficiently into working solutions for feature delivery
- Collaborates with the agile team to establish the definition of done for each of the stages of production within the team
- Collaborate with Test Engineers and Senior Test Engineers to ensure that software meets the definition of done; ensuring successful transition of work to the next stage of production during the sprints
- Ensures an innovation culture in the team by continuous improvement of deliveries and participates in evaluating new processes and technologies that can be applied to future feature delivery
- Collaborates with Technical Support Engineers to transition software features to a production environment ensuring that the deliveries meet application performance criteria, release standards; and ensures application and system stability.
- Automates testing of software to industry standards of software automation ensuring very high quality application/solution delivery and efficient regression of existing features
- Ensures that the latest project progress is known to the agile team by ensuring Application Lifecycle Management (ALM) tools are up to date and participating in daily standups outlining progress made, progress planned and detailing impediments
- Thinks with the mind of the end customer at all times, ensuring solutions seek to improve the customer experience and delight their customers.
- Clearly demonstrates analytical ability and critical thinking skills
- Takes a logical, analytical approach to problem solving and pays close attention to detail
Job Specifications (Required Skills)
- Bachelors Degree in Computer Science is preferred, or equivalent relevant business experience
- 4+ years experience with demonstrated success in software development or equivalent experience
Working knowledge of Workday including Workday API's, Connectors, EIBs, Workday Studio, Workday Cloud Platform, and Prism required
Working knowledge of C#.net, SQL, web service technologies (REST, JSON, SOAP, HTTP, SSL, PGP, SAML etc. required
Knowledge of HCM, Payroll, Supply Management (Procurement) required
- Experience with Agile Development Methodologies
- Strong team player; able to work effectively within a team and more broadly with people from a variety of backgrounds and areas across the organization.