Summary of Major Responsibilities
The Software Engineer II will be integral to the design and development of software for Exact Sciences. An Engineer II focuses on improving software design, collaborating with and mentoring their peers and junior team members, and effectively communicates with other representatives of the business. The Engineer creates, tests, and evaluates software applications and systems to make computers function according to specific requirements. This person must be able to work collaboratively in cross-functional teams to deliver software products to the business.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Include but are not limited to the following:
- Foster collaboration and improved development processes.
- Continually expand skillset through self-driven training.
- Design and develop software.
- Test software applications and systems.
- Apply knowledge of computing systems and software structure.
- Analyze users' needs.
- Create flowcharts, diagrams, and other documentation.
- Create manuals and detailed sets of instructions including algorithms that tell computers what to do.
- Convert instructions into computer languages.
- Construct, deploy, and maintain general computer applications software or specialized utility programs.
- Develop packaged computer applications.
- Create customized applications for Exact Sciences business units.
- Develop databases.
- Coordinate the construction and maintenance of computer systems.
- Coordinate department needs and make suggestions regarding its technical direction.
- Set up organization's intranets.
- Design and implement system security and data assurance.
- Configure, implement, and install the computer systems of other organizations.
- Identify and explain needed changes.
- Ensure security across systems being configured.
- Able to organize and maintain flexibility.
- Provide support and guidance for peer programmers.
- Design R&D prototyping.
- Work collaboratively with software testers.
- Ability to work seated for approximately 50% of a typical working day Ability to work standing for approximately 50% of a typical working day.
- Ability to work in front of a computer screen and/or perform typing for up to 8 hours in a working day.
- Ability to comply with any applicable personal protective equipment requirements.
- Regular and reliable attendance.
- Support and comply with the company’s Quality Management System policies and procedures.
- Bachelor’s Degree in CS/Engineering/Sciences or equivalent experience.
- 3+ years of experience with design capabilities using modern technologies.
- Proven work experience as a Software Engineer or Software Developer.
- Experience designing interactive applications.
- Ability to develop software in Java, Ruby on Rails, C++ or other programming languages.
- Excellent knowledge of relational databases, SQL and ORM technologies (JPA2, Hibernate).
- Experience developing web applications using at least one popular web framework (JSF, Wicket, GWT, Spring MVC).
- Experience with test-driven development.
- Proficiency in software engineering tools.
- Ability to document requirements and specifications.
- Authorization to work in the United States without sponsorship.