The Software Engineer I is responsible for application design, development, testing, and problem resolution under the general direction of a team lead. The scope of work includes small system enhancements to participating on major system projects. As an entry-level position, regular mentoring, feedback, and supervision are provided by senior technical staff and management.
Applications may include custom developed software, commercial packaged software, or open-source software. Software may consist of on premise applications, cloud-based software and services, hybrid configurations, integration tools, or business workflow tools.
- Develops, tests, and fixes defects in application software from overall application designs prepared by senior staff under the general direction of a Senior Software Engineer or higher.
- Designs application software at the module level under the general direction of a Senior Software Engineer or higher.
- Creates work estimates (effort and duration) of work assignments for inclusion into project plans under the general direction of a Senior Software Engineer or higher.
- Resolves routine technical problems with systems under the general direction of a Senior Software Engineer or higher.
- Maintains working knowledge on the systems and tools within the scope of the team's responsibility. Maintains working-level knowledge of software development best practices, tools, and methodologies.
- Actively participates in quality and continuous improvement initiatives within the scope of the team's responsibility.
- Maintains basic knowledge of the technologies and practices of the company's chosen markets.
- Associates degree (or higher) –OR- 2+ years professional work experience.
- Experience with Java, Python, Perl and .Net
- Experience with Linux & Windows Servers.
- Knowledge of software development methodologies, practices, and tools.
- Knowledge of project management methodologies, practices, and tools.
- Knowledge of one more programming languages used by the team.
- Knowledge of software testing practices and tools.
- Knowledge of problem solving techniques and tools.
- Ability to travel as needed for company business and professional development.
- Ability to work nights and weekends as needed for system implementations and resolving system problems.