As a leading worldwide provider of navigation devices and wearable technology, our focus is on developing, designing and supporting superior products. Our advanced technology promotes performance, safety and ease of use in every market we serve. That makes us an engineering and technology company with a keen focus on recruiting talent in those fields. But the same vertical integration business model that keeps all design and manufacturing processes in-house also gives us the incentive to hire top performers from different backgrounds, including operations, finance and accounting, information technology, sales, marketing and communications.
At Garmin, we create products that solve complex problems and make people’s lives safer, healthier and more enjoyable. Software engineers test software using debuggers, emulators and simulators; perform software releases and software quality assurance activities; and work collaboratively and professionally with other Garmin associates.
We are looking for a full time Android Software Engineer who is interested in working on a small team in a fast paced environment in Olathe, KS creating and producing new technologies for consumer products at Garmin. In this role, you’ll be responsible for developing complex software for Garmin products and/or applications consistently following Garmin’s coding standards and in accordance with applicable software development methodology and releaseprocesses. Other essential functions include:
- Utilize software development tools and Instruments to develop, test, debug, and deploy quality software
- Utilize tools such as Git and Gerrit in the software development process
- Create and executes designs for software components within a larger project
- May perform as a technical leader or Lead Software Engineer for derivative software project
- Collaborate and add value through participation in peer code reviews, providing comments and suggestions
- Provide reliable solutions to a variety of problems using sound problem solving techniques
- Perform technical root cause analysis and outlines corrective action for given problems
- Serve as a mentor to less experienced software engineers (Software Engineer 1)
- Estimate level of effort, evaluate new options of similar technology, offer suggestions to improve processe
Qualified candidates should possess a Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Math or Physics or a technical field (such as CIS or IT) from a four-year college or university AND a minimum of one-year relevant experience OR an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience plus a cumulative GPA greater than or equal to 3.0 as a general rule. Other requirements include:
- Will also demonstrate proficient knowledge and utilization of engineering tools necessary for successful performance of the essential functions of this job description including experience necessary to develop complex software
- Experience with some of the following: Java/Kotlin, latest Android SDK-(we are compiling with version 27-targeting 25) Android Developer and Android Studio (3.0.1)
- At least 3 years developing applications in a work environment; outside of school and internship projects