IZEA was built to connect the world’s top brands with influential content creators and publishers to enable influencer marketing and content production at scale. With over 500,000 Creators reaching over 3 billion fans and followers around the globe, IZEA is unmatched in its industry experience, network diversity, and technology ecosystem. A career at IZEA offers countless ways to make an impact in a fast-growing organization!
IZEA is looking for a Full Stack Software Engineer to join our team.
This team member may be located in the Orlando area or be remote (US) as this is a remote position.
You will use the latest tools and technology to build and support IZEA's Creator and/or Customer focused efforts. This could include:
- Integrating with the industry-leading Unity Workflow software, launching new features and tools to help Creators with their craft, and working in Web and Mobile applications.
- Building novel solutions to recurring issues
Whether contributing to a set of JSON API powered services written in Ruby on Rails and NodeJS, or extending the user experience on top of EmberJS and Sass, you will help define what the future of Influencer and Content Marketing looks like.
You will have direct access to end-users and stakeholders, and you are encouraged to build and leverage these relationships in your work. You will write and test your code, and work with our QA team to get it deployed to production. With the help of a homegrown, bot-driven CI/CD pipeline, your code will be delivered to users daily. This cross-functional team leverages Amazon Web Services for everything from ECS for containerized virtualization and hosting, to S3 for durable object storage, RDS and DynamoDb for persistence, and Cloudfront for secure and scalable distribution of your work.
Aside from the day to day, we can offer you incredible benefits including an annual continuing education budget, a trust-focused development process, a flexible and collaborative work environment where balance matters, stock ownership, and an annual company retreat.
The team strives to be ego-free and motivated only by building amazing software for our users. We seek to understand the "why" behind the "what". We regularly break out into small teams to tackle problems, learn new technologies, or just share what we know with others. We test our code and invest in the health of our systems. We push each other, learn from each other, and strive to continually grow.
- Work with stakeholders to define the solutions to development problems and business requirements
- Develop and maintain features and capabilities for the IZEAx platform
- Create unit and integration tests for your code
- Reproduce and fix bugs reported by internal and external users
- Set goals and communicate often about your progress toward them
- Contribute to the ongoing improvement of the Engineering organization and our software
What We’re Looking For
A problem solver at heart
- Much of our work revolves around problems that have no existing off-the-shelf solution or consensus on best practices. You'll often need to break down large problems into smaller more manageable tasks and utilize critical thinking to come up with novel ideas.
3+ years of web development experience
- The internet is a complicated place. A general understanding of what it means to develop software that is delivered over the web will serve you well and should include things like HTTP, CORS, DNS, and SSL. Ideally, you know what a load balancer is, understand stateless client-server application architecture, and can speak about the browser's DOM.
- Modern, API-driven web applications are large and complex, and IZEAx is no different. To help developers stay sane, frameworks have emerged to keep code bases in check. At IZEA, we use EmberJS. If you haven't used EmberJS before, it's ok; we are confident you can pick it up (and like it) if you have used one of these other frameworks.
Direct experience with relational and NoSQL databases technologies
- We use the best tool for the job around here. When it comes to storing and accessing data, we recognize that the technology decisions we make directly impact our ability to provide a performant customer experience, and our own costs.
Experience designing and building JSON based RESTful APIs
- Because we are building our application with a front end framework, we carefully design and document the APIs to power it. To help us, we follow the JSON API spec, but any experience in building a RESTful API will be useful. Remember, the API is your contract with the front end!
Understanding of monolithic and micro-service based architectures
- IZEAx still has some legacy monolithic characteristics. As we move more and more of our technology to a distributed set of services, there are new challenges to overcome. Understanding the differences between these two models will help you take those challenges head-on.
Basic Linux skills
- In order to develop for IZEAx, you need to run it on your laptop. This means opening up some terminal windows, running some commands, and keeping the log output open. Additionally, some of our technology stack is better accessed through CLIs. Examples include the Ember CLI, the Rails CLI/console, Docker commands, Gradle, and our own gemstone architecture CLI. We'll walk you through it, but you should be comfy in a terminal.
Ability to multitask and prioritize multiple incoming requests
- IZEA's Engineering team strives to provide a great experience and great service to our users. In order to do that, you may need to context switch into a support issue or drop what you are doing to start work on something else. This is part of what Agile means to us.
Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Regular and timely communication is the key to a trust based development process. You should be able to simply and concisely ask for feedback and direction in terms that your audience understands, and relay requested information in a timely fashion to your leaders. You should prioritize documentation of processes and code.
Demonstrated experience with the following will be highly valued
Front End Development experience
Mobile Development experience
- While this role specifically focuses on providing APIs to clients and some web client work, you will also be on a team with mobile developers and your APIs will be used by them to deliver our iOS app. And understanding of mobile development will help you keep this important channel in mind.
Amazon Web Services, or other cloud providers
- IZEA's software is hosted on AWS, and you will need to acquire some familiarity with it. Previous experience in using a cloud provider, even if just for developer tooling, shows that you understand some of the nuances involved in working in the cloud.
Continuous Integration & Deployment
- IZEA needs to get features and fixes out to customers as soon as we possibly can with as much confidence as possible. To facilitate this, we have developed a CI/CD pipeline (using 3rd party services). An understanding of what CI/CD is will help you understand how this pipeline works and how to make it even better.
- All of IZEA's code is source controlled on Github. We leverage Github Pull Requests for code reviews, Github integrations manage parts of our CI/CD pipeline, and Github releases define the code tags that ultimately get deployed. Much of our process documentation exists on Github pages. Familiarity with navigating Github's features will help you ramp up in our SDLC faster.
- IZEA uses JIRA to manage projects and report on progress to stakeholders inside and outside the company. While we strive to automate as much of JIRA as possible with bots, webhooks and reports, understanding how JIRA issues, links, attachments, and workflows work will help you understand our SDLC faster.