Solid reputation, passionate people and endless opportunities. That's Travelers. Our superior financial strength and consistent record of strong operating returns mean security for our customers - and opportunities for our employees. You will find Travelers to be full of energy and a workplace in which you truly can make a difference.
Job Description Summary
Travelers is seeking a Software Engineer I to join our organization as we grow and transform our Technology landscape. Individual will complete intermediate end to end engineering tasks for specific system assignments including developing, analyzing, configuring, testing, debugging, troubleshooting, documenting, health monitoring/alerting, and implementing based on user or system design specifications, as well as participating in troubleshooting, conducting impact analysis and escalating appropriately.
Field & Agency Management is in search of a self-motivated and innovative information technology professional to join the team. This individual will be a member of a team, responsible for developing and enhancing various data capabilities, with the aim to transform the way how we serve and interact with our agents/brokers. As a key contributor to Field & Agency Management strategic initiatives, this role will actively contribute to design, build and delivery activities.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Work closely with Product Owner and Solution Architect to define data solutions that provide business value to Travelers' agents and business customers.
- Act as a discipline lead and provide technical guidance to other ETL developers
- Responsible for utilizing DevOps capabilities for continuous integration and deployment to Amazon Web Services and PCF cloud platforms.
- Continual learning - In addition to an extensive catalog of technical courses offered by Travelers, leverage opportunities for hands-on learning and innovation through pair-programming, innovation sprints, etc.
- Bachelor's degree or its equivalent in work experience.
- Four years of programming/development experience.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Data integration tools - proficient in Ab Initio; Talend and Informatica are a plus
- Data concepts - Data Warehouse, Data Lake, Data Modeling, DB Design, Data Mapping
- Data platforms - RDBMS (Oracle, SQL, etc), Big Data and Cloud
- Scheduling tools - Autosys or similar
- Dev Ops - Continuous Integration, Continuous Deployment, Version Control (Git, etc.)
- Data serialization formats - JSON, XML
- Containerization technologies - Docker, Kubernetes
- Exposure to writing Shell scripts in LINUX, Power shell in Windows
- Experience with Agile development is preferred
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Delivery - Intermediate delivery skills including the ability to deliver work at a steady, predictable pace to achieve commitments, decompose work assignments into small batch releases and contribute to tradeoff and negotiation discussions.
- Domain Expertise - Demonstrated track record of domain expertise including the ability to understand technical concepts necessary to do the job effectively, demonstrate willingness, cooperation, and concern for business issues and possess in-depth knowledge of immediate systems worked on.
- Problem Solving - Proven problem solving skills including debugging skills, allowing you to determine source of issues in unfamiliar code or systems and the ability to recognize and solve repetitive problems rather than working around them, recognize mistakes using them as learning opportunities and break down large problems into smaller, more manageable ones.
- Communication - Strong communication skills with the ability to clearly and concisely interact with team members, document work in a clear, easy to follow manner, collaborate well with team members, take in well- scoped requirements and ask the right questions to ensure clarification, seek out and receive constructive criticism well and listen when others are speaking.
- Leadership - Intermediate leadership skills with a proven track record of self-motivation in identifying personal growth opportunities.