Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
The Junior Software Engineer role is responsible for collaborating with QA and development to identify and create automation solutions, scripts, and strategies, targeted toward improving game infrastructure and increasing efficiencies in the QV process. This person plays a key role in ensuring seamless consumer experience by focusing on upstream quality and targeting defect prevention and containment by assisting with generation and analysis of testing strategies, improving automation efforts, white box testing, identifying new testing technologies and developing new tools for testing and tracking purposes.
Driving technology usage and support:
- Working with QA analysts to identify areas of improvement through new tools and automation strategies.
- Build, test, and deploy automated solutions to support game project deliverables.
- Support an increased adoption of automation within game teams. Aid in the identification and requirements gathering for new automation.
- Identify and recommend debug and telemetry enhancements to aid testing.
- Providing debug support and technical expertise to QV teams and game software engineers.
- Participating in knowledge sharing sessions and increasing knowledge of existing tools, automation and testing processes.
- Risk analysis of new features – impact and scope.
- Assist with prioritizing bug fixing efforts and areas of test focus.
- White box testing.
Partner with QV Project Management to:
- Proactively contribute to the test and technology strategies of the QA group.
- Escalate risks and recommend upstream tools, automation and processes.
- Proactively analyze metrics, trends and test process to provide meaningful statistics with sound reasoning.
- Provide performance results analysis on current processes and infrastructures.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Software engineering or equivalent.
- Professional experience with a focus on concepts, language varieties. Experience with C# and/or Java.
- Strong understanding of software development life cycle, practices and software engineering methodologies and their application to both development and QA.
- Excellent understanding of software quality assurance concepts, debugging processes and procedures.
- Scripting experience with Python, Perl, PHP, or Lua an asset.
- Preferred knowledge in gaming consoles or embedded systems.
- Successfully interface with internal customers with a diverse set of backgrounds and needs - able to speak their language, appreciate their challenges, and maintain their respect.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Knowledge of technical writing concepts and experience an asset.
- Experience using MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Proactive in completing tasks and escalating issues appropriately.
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills.
- Excellent observational and organizational skills – detail oriented.
- Creativity and logical thinking: can find ingenious solutions to problems.
- Adaptability/flexibility: not afraid of change and strives for it if it's for the good of the project - is not afraid to try new things and possibly fail.