The software engineer family brings an engineering discipline and best practices to investigating, architecting, designing and implementing new solutions and/or adding new features and functions to existing IT solutions, which meet Standard Insurance’s business needs.
Investigation: Software Engineer will lead in requirements gathering that will feed an iterative based methodology. Packaged Software and SaaS products are commonly identified, and utilized, within Standard and are integrated with by new and existing solutions. Software Engineers are expected to be proficient installing and integrating these components.
Architect and Design: Designing solutions using an iterative, test driven methodology is the expectation. Software Engineers will write their own unit tests and perform the validation using contemporary tools, moving us towards continuous development/continuous integration. Production ready code is the target for all Software Engineers in this family. Data needs will be gathered, designed, implemented and tested by the Software Engineer using Oracle, Microsoft, or other data repositories. User Interface or User Experience design is the responsibility of the Software Engineer and should use a responsive design framework. Proto-typing is expected when introducing new approaches or techniques. Development in multiple modern languages is required with good proficiency. All architecture and design is expected to adhere to good enterprise level application security best practices.
Implementation: Software Engineers are expected to build and automate the deployment of their components/solutions into production. Knowledge or proficiency in the current industry toolset for this purpose is required.
Software engineers have to possess and demonstrate systems and critical thinking and leverage that in a collaborative team based environment. The ability to play varying roles comfortably is required. They must be self-directed and have the ability to technically lead at a senior level. Working in a multi-vendor, off shore model is now the norm in the industry and Software Engineers need to know how to be successful in this model.
The Preferred Candidate Will Have
- At least 5 years as a full-stack software engineer/developer or similar role in a software development setting, preferably in an IT environment
- 3+ Years using a variety of software methodologies specifically Agile and DevOps
- Effective communicator (written and verbal) and team player
- A history of successfully bringing innovative solutions to complex problems
- Experience acting as a primary software developer and/or tech lead on medium to complex IT projects
- A bachelor or master degree in Computer Science or related field or the equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
- The languages and/or platforms the Software Engineer should be familiar with:
- Angular, HTML5 with Responsive Design
- Data Repositories (Oracle/SQL Server with MSBI)
- GIT, Jira, Jenkins, Maven, Junit, Jmeter, Selenium, Jprobe and XLDeploy/Release
- Experience working in a distributed, non-homogeneous technology environment
- Be part of a team and thought leader to transform our delivery framework to an agile product focused
Additional Qualifications That Add Value
- Java – Including development of Services and/or Micro-Services is a strong plus
- Prior experience with ETL technology is a strong plus
- Experience working with Oracle PL/SQL, Data Modeling, and Shell/Batch Scripting
- Experience with mainframe technology including JCL, VSAM, Cobol
- Experience with FIS/Sungard Omni Suite of products and Omni Scripting language
- Understanding of the financial services industry, specifically retirement planning