Software Engineer, Data
at Udacity (View all jobs)Mountain View or San FranciscoUdacity's mission is to democratize education. We're an online learning platform offering groundbreaking education in fields such as artificial intelligence, machine learning, robotics, virtualreality, and more. Focused on self-empowerment through learning, Udacity is making innovative technologies such as self-driving cars available to a global community of aspiring technologists, while also enabling learners at all levels to skill up with essentials like programming, web and app development. Udacity is looking for people to join our Data team. If you love a challenge, and truly want to make a difference in the world, read on The data team's mission is to make simple insights easy and complex insights possible. Your mission - make this possible! - We use the state of the art tools to design our data pipelines to enable - personalization, recommendations, analysis, emails and notifications.- Our stack - AWS Redshift, PostgreSQL, Apache Airflow for job orchestration. We're also experimenting with Druid and Elasticsearch to enable realtime notifications.- You will work on setting up Kafka streaming listeners one day, and the next day you will workwith the data scientist to productionize an algorithm that helps students learn better.- We ship really fast and iterate rapidly to provide the best experience for our students.
What we're looking for:
- 5+ relevant years of work experience writing and maintaining distributed data pipelines.
- Knowledge of Kafka and Zookeeper. Experience with writing Kafka consumers and/or producers.
- Prior experience with AWS Redshift and/or PostgreSQL preferred.
- Ability to translate the algorithms provided by data scientists and implement them in production.
- Knowledge of Linux, network and file system, and database level troubleshooting.
- Experience in Java/Python/Scala.
Our Tech Stack
- AWS Redshift & Postgres - Data warehousing
- Airflow - Data pipelines and ETL
- AWS Database Migration Service (DMS) - for ETL
- Scikit-learn for ML algorithms
- Docker Stacks for sharing a common dev environment
- Github, Docker Hub, CircleCI, Datadog, New Relic, Airbrake, Pager Duty
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. Women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ community, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.