The Broad Institute’s Data Sciences Platform sits at the center of this transformation. Our team is charged with building a suite of sophisticated software products to serve both the Institute and the world. We play a pivotal role in flagship scientific efforts such as the All of Us Cohort Program and the Human Cell Atlas, and we collaborate with world leading technology corporations, philanthropic organizations, and pharmaceutical companies. Together, these activities make us a leading organization at the intersection of the life sciences and data sciences.
We’re looking for a well-rounded senior full stack developer to help us imagine, build, and deploy beautiful, robust websites that enable researchers to dramatically accelerate our search for cures to a wide variety of diseases.
Our team is interdisciplinary and multifaceted. We strive for diversity, openness, respect, freedom and responsibility, great code, and the ability to convert the sometimes fuzzy hopes and dreams of our research-driven stakeholders into valuable, working code. We’re agile and test-driven--but not dogmatically so--and we aim to strike a balance between time-to-market and sustainability. We are all constantly learning, integrating, and teaching one another across many domains: user experience, engineering, genomics, wet-lab operations, research, and security to name a few.
Overall, what gets us up in the morning is knowing that what we do makes a real difference in the lives of those who are impacted by complex disease. We’d love to talk to you about our open positions!
- Work with software engineers and product managers, and collaborates with stakeholding research scientists, computational biologists, and external partners, to broaden the use of scientific tools and datasets by building web applications that make it easy for researchers, clinicians, and other interested parties to operate tools, share and visualize data, or navigate datasets that would otherwise require specialized infrastructure.
- Participate in all aspects of the software development life cycle, starting from project conceptualization, continuing on through iterations, deployment, maintenance, and decommissioning.
- Work in an agile methodology to deliver value in incremental fashion whenever possible.
- Participate fully in a highly collaborative environment.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Write high-quality, production-grade, maintainable code used in SaaS applications.
- Create and apply high-quality, production-grade, maintainable tests for all projects.
- Participate in in code reviews, retrospectives and learning sessions.
- Analyze requirements and generate reasonably accurate estimates for projects lasting up to twelve months
- Responsible for the detailed architectural design and coding and maintenance of whole web applications, services, modules, and domain models in collaboration with product managers, UX designers, customer advocates and other engineers.
- Proactively identify obstacles or problems, recommend improvements, validate and document code changes.
- Develop and document basic product features and maintain good developers’ notes.
- Participate in and encourage a DevOps mindset with high developer responsibility for correctness, performance, stability and usability.
- Evaluate different approaches to completing assigned tasks and development projects. This could include performing build-versus-buy assessments.
- Monitor the health of deployed applications and troubleshoot as necessary.
- Diagnose and fix bugs in existing applications.
- Reformat/filter datasets as necessary.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
- BA in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent experience
- Interest in biology/genomics and knowledge of statistics a plus but not required.
- Experience with PHI and EMR/EHR a plus.