Thanks for checking us out. We’re actively recruiting for a number of positions here at Blackboard. With nearly 20,000 organizational customers and millions of student users, Blackboard is the world's leading education technology company. Every day we’re inspiring people to find new ways to learn, connect and drive change in the way education is delivered and experienced. If you want to help bring people closer to the knowledge they seek and to ways they can change their own education and the world for the better, we want to hear from you.
We focus on providing customer value: to those students, teachers and education professionals who use our products every day. It’s challenging, but extremely rewarding work and we’re looking for the best and brightest to join us on this adventure.
Blackboard has an office located in the Federal Hill neighborhood of Baltimore City. If you decide to join our team, you will be working with some of the best minds in the 'Ed Tech' industry and have very real impact on how our students, teachers, and education professionals experience our software.
We are building up a new group within Blackboard focused on enterprise data support services. This team’s mission is to bring data together from across Blackboard’s extensive product lines into our cloud-based data lake. We are the analytics and data experts at Blackboard. Our team enables other development teams to strategically and effectively utilize the data lake for a variety of Blackboard products. We deliver backend services for analytics, data science, business intelligence, and reporting.
The successful candidate will have a strong foundation in software development, problem solving, analytical thinking, and strong written & verbal communication skills.
What will you do as a Software Engineer, Data Services at Blackboard?
- Learn quickly and develop creative solutions, encompassing software integration, performance, reliability, manageability and security
- Apply hands-on technical design and implementation of mid-tier solutions using Python, Scala, SQL, Typescript and Java to support Blackboard products that utilize the data lake
- Work with the Development Manager, Product Manager and engineering team on projects related to system research, product design, product development, and defect resolution
- Be willing to respond to the unique challenges of delivering and maintaining cloud-based software. This includes troubleshooting live production environments, minimizing downtime, and responding to client-reported issues
- Work with otherengineering personnel to ensure consistency among products
- Thrive in the face of hard problems
What Skills do you need?
- 5+ years experience designing and developing software solutions
- Experience with building end-to-end web technologies
- Experience with both relational database management systems and document-oriented databases
- Hands-on development experience using Service-Oriented Architecture (SOA) and web services
- Expert data structure, algorithm analysis and design skills
- Proven ability developing web applications with Play2 frameworks
- Knowledge of modernsecurity and authorization schemes including Oauth and Oauth2
- Knowledge of distributed systems and tradeoffs in consistency, availability and network failure tolerance
- Knowledge of professional software engineering best practices for the full SDLC, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Proven ability developing web applications with frameworks such as Struts, Spring MVC, Angular, etc.
- Experience with cloud-based data warehouse technologies, specifically Snowflake
- Experience with Redis/Elasticache and/or Elasticsearch
- Extra-curricular web app projects or open source contributions that you’ve developed on your own
- Previous experience in the education industry and e-learning technologies