We're looking for experienced engineers to join our team to build elegant, scalable systems that use NoSQL data stores, data warehouses, map-reduce and streaming solutions to power a whole host of personalized experiences for Yelp's users and drive optimizations for Yelp's advertising businesses. If you're the person who leads their team in replacing an aging system, or dives fearlessly into the guts of a running system to fix that bug everyone else is happy to gloss over, then we're looking for you!
Yelp engineering culture is driven by our values: we're a cooperative team that values individual authenticity, and encourages "unboring" solutions to problems. New hires are expected to deploy working code their first week -- and your impact will only grow from there with the support of your manager and mentor. At the end of the day, we are all about helping our users, growing as engineers, and having fun in a collaborative environment.
What You Will Do:
- Build systems that can effectively store and crunch terabytes of data, and power amazing experiences for Yelp's users.
- Learn the fine art of balancing scale, latency and availability depending on the problem.
- Work with product management and data science to identify and use data that is most relevant to the problem at hand.
- Observe the power of AI from up close but more importantly, bring it to the mass(es) of data we have at Yelp.
We Are Looking For:
- 2+ years of relevant industry experience building large scale distributed systems.
- Deep understanding of the programing languages and systems that you've worked on.
- A passion for architecting large systems with elegant interfaces that can scale easily.
- A love for writing beautiful code. We use Java & Python. You don't need to be an expert, but experience is a plus and we will expect you to learn them on the job.
- Comfort in running services or batches in a Unix environment.
- Minimum BA/BS degree in Computer Science, Math, or related degree.
- A love for delighting Yelp's users with experiences they shouldn't live without.