Software Engineer Apps
- Job Number: 113000872
- Santa Clara Valley, California, United States
- Posted: Sep. 20, 2017
- Weekly Hours: 40.00
The Internet Services Organization (ISO) Advanced System Engineering (ASE) team is on the cutting edge of developing Apple’s next generation hyper-scale server and storage platform infrastructure standards. As we grow the number of systems and suppliers we engage with, the need to develop, test, validate and qualify these systems to work in the Apple environment grows as well. We are looking for the best System Test Engineers in the industry that have demonstrated technical leadership in architecting and executing scalable software test environments to assess the stability, performance and efficiency of a variety of hardware and firmware platforms to include compute servers, storage servers, networking switches, rack-level power distribution equipment, and components. The ideal candidate will have excellent communication skills, a demonstrated competency in Linux scripting, object oriented programming languages and a working knowledge of server, storage and networking hardware/architecture and the components that make up these systems. In addition, the candidate must have proven ability to debug test failures and sightings far enough to communicate sufficient information to Hardware/Firmware vendors to root cause and resolve. The successful candidate will need to handle multiple concurrent test efforts and posses the ability to interpret test results and communicate status and recommendation to the extended internal teams. Cross-functional collaboration with hardware engineers, software engineers as well as server/component suppliers is a must. Project management and organization skills are a plus.
- 2+ years experience as a system engineer or test engineer on server hardware platforms in pre-production/development stages.
- In-depth, working knowledge of Linux, the Linux kernel, Linux benchmarking/performance tools (IOmeter, FIO, etc) as well as hardware/software test tools (Intel PTU, etc).
- Experience in developing test programs and test scripts.
- Proven ability to interpret test results, failures and observations and work with hardware and software developers to address test outcomes.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills—including solid presentation skills & experience.
- Technical understanding and working knowledge of Intel server and hyperscale storage platform architecture.
- Ability to work cross-functionally with other teams within Apple.
- Ability to think creatively, problem solve, and innovate.
- Proven ability to work under high pressure and comfortable working in a dynamic environment
Develop, design and execute manual and automated tests for compatibility of server hardware and software tools. Optimize hardware and software platforms based on application requirements and test results. Assist Hardware and Software engineers to evaluate and test new technologies. Develop test plans and other test documentation as required. Identify, reproduce, and isolate bugs found via tests, debugging and performance analysis tools. Work closely with, and clearly communicate with cross-functional teams.
BS Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Engineering or equivalent experience.