Alion Science and Technology is seeking an experienced, senior or principal software computer science or software engineer to become a strategic partner of a five-member subject matter expert (SME) team to support homeland defense strategic test and evaluation (T&E) initiatives at the Air Force Institute of Technology (AFIT). AFIT, in partnership with the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), formed a Homeland Security Community of Best Practices (HS CoBP) strategic team to assemble/lead a community of government, industry, and academic experts to assess future homeland threats to inform T&E plans across eight DHS T&E capability areas.
- Counter Unmanned Aerial Systems
- Cyber Security and Resilience
- Information Technology
- Artificial Intelligence and Autonomous Systems
- Cloud Technologies
- Systems Reliability
- Sub-terrain (Cross Border Tunnels) Detection Technologies
- Chemical Biological Radiological Nuclear and Explosives Detection and Interdiction
The HS CoBP team is born out of the innovative approaches to test planning and follow-on data analytics within AFIT's eight-year-old Scientific Test and Analysis Techniques Center of Excellence (STAT COE). As the senior software computer science or software engineer HS CoBP team member, the candidate will function as a knowledge integrator, leveraging their knowledge, experience, education, and new position in AFIT to bring together the best T&E and capability area experts to establish a strategic T&E plan that anticipates rapidly changing homeland threats. Each capability area T&E plan will function as a playbook for DHS programs, and will include best practices, lessons learned, and identify subject matter expert reach-back for specialized systems, test planning, and data analysis.Required:
- A senior or principal software engineering or software computer science candidate with experience in strategic high level software design work and a strong understanding of software quality assurance (Q&A) and software T&E to include automated tests.
- Background experience should be broad, demonstrating experience in operational software systems and its vulnerabilities across theeight capability areaslisted above.
- Masters in a technical discipline (i.e. computer science, engineering, etc.); the team will balance education against highly specialized knowledge or unique experiences
- Minimum of ten years of experience in software computer science, software engineering, or a related field. Additional experience in strategic planning a plus
- Strategic thinkerwith ability to focus on the analysis of critical factors and variables to influence the long-term success of an organization.
- Strong technical research and writing skills to prepare authoritative works
- Exceptional interpersonal and team building skills to lead a community of disparate subject matter experts across industry, academia, and government
- PhD in a technical discipline (i.e. computer science, engineering, etc.); the team will balance education against highly specialized knowledge or unique experiences
- DAWIA, advanced or senior level III in engineering, information technology, test and evaluation, or the like a plus
- Fifteen years of experience in software computer science, software engineering, or a related field
- Direct experience in cyber security and resilience, information technology, Cloud technologies, and/or systems reliability
Candidates must be a U.S. Citizen. The position is unclassified but will require the candidate to obtain a higher-level U.S. Government clearance in the future.
Security Clearance: Secret