The Guest & Loyalty domain is seeking a talented and driven individual for our Software Engineer 2 role. As a member of one of our Agile Scrum teams, you will have the opportunity to help lead a team to plan, design, commit, and deliver highly visible, customer facing features that make a big impact for our franchisees, our guests, and our loyalty members. You will work on a variety of systems and products, ranging from our Customer Loyalty Program to our Billing System, and many other applications and technologies in between.
- Implement, and maintain software to improve the availability, scalability, latency, and efficiency of applications/services
- Regularly delivers software on time as a committed member of an Agile Scrum team
- Consistently follows Choice best practices and guidelines
- Participates and helps drive the technical design of features with guidance from the Tech Lead
- Learns quickly and makes steady progress without the need for significant feedback from senior engineers; Fail Fast mentality: learns from mistakes and adjusts quickly
- Able to own small-to-medium features from technical design through completion
- Monitoring and alerting for various components across our infrastructure
- Quality Assurance (QA) Testing: Assists software test engineering teams during the quality assurance phase of the development cycle.
- Education: Keeps up on industry trends and current technological standards, languages, coding techniques, utilities and operational considerations.
- Can be called upon to give technical interviews to new possible candidates
- Graciously accepts feedback
- Help Lead the team, maintaining a positive attitude in the face of adversity
Education, Experience and Knowledge:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, or related field, from a four-year college or university, or one to two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Relevant industry certification, such as Oracle Java Developer, is preferred.
- A minimum 2 years of relevant experience in software development, information systems, or equivalent technical environment, including previous experience in the development of highly transactional, mission critical applications in heterogeneous environments/architectures for multi-user systems.
Proficiency or familiarity with the following technologies:
- Java (2+ years)
- Spring or similar MVC framework
- Unix/Linux and one of the many shells
- Service oriented designs and technologies (AJAX, XML/JSON)
- Web service protocols, such as SOAP or REST
- Source control. Subversion and/or GIT
- Excellent knowledge of all aspects of the software development lifecycle: design, functional and technical requirements, coding, debugging, testing, release, and operational support
- Knowledge of agile software development methodologies, Service Oriented Architecture, and object-oriented programming methodologies
- Knowledge of software development best practices, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Knowledge of relational database management system technologies and tools
- Exceptional verbal, written and listening communication skills
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and demeanor
- Proficient in the use of MS Office suite including Visio
- Above all, the desire and ability to learn quickly