The Software Development Manager will work in close collaboration with Tilson’s established and technically diverse Enterprise Application team. Tilson’s enterprise application services span the entire system development lifecycle and provide internal and external stakeholders with a highly skilled and professional interaction. The Software Development Manager is regarded as highly experienced in designing and building software and also functions as a proficient team member who can meet project objectives. This individual needs to have experience managing remote teams and should have strong people management skills. As part of a fast-paced organization, this position requires managing teams of software development engineers collaborating with business units, product managers, analysts, operations, external customers and vendors. We require a passionate leader who flourishes in a fast-moving, agile environment, has good communications skills, an outstanding ability to lead the team to create products that not only meet strategic and market objectives, but also our high standards for quality, security, testability and performance. This is a full-time position with our Enterprise Application Department based in Portland, ME, Denver CO or nationally. Responsibilities:
- Function as a solid manager on a high-performance agile development team involved in all stages of the software development lifecycle.
- This position will be hands on. We expect leaders to improve operational efficiency and develop a vision that leads to long term success of developer teams. Leaders will need to acquire in-depth domain knowledge about all aspects of our products, and to us, the best way to acquire this knowledge is by rolling up their sleeves to code, configure, and test alongside their team.
- Provides product owners with scope estimates and high-level milestones for evaluations of upcoming projects and work closely with the IT team in an agile environment to ensure work is consistently sequenced, digested, and completed at a reasonable velocity.
- Work in close coordination with Product Managers and development team members to translate high-level business requirements into technical design.
- Produce high quality software compliant with current best practices, establishing company guidelines.
- Monitor work through the work stream to ensure it is complete and consistent with product requirements and criteria for release. Working with the team to adjust tasking, prioritization, and scope to achieve project goals.
- Provides vision and leadership to ensure the team understands company, department and project objectives that they can also contribute to. We seek a role model and good ambassador for our core values, who can lead by example by setting expectations and context, and possess a shared passion for exceeding customer expectations
- Foster an environment in which team is willing to work together to solve complex problems.
- Foster an environment which honors continual improvements and honors innovation.
- Provide consistent and immediate feedback on individual and team performance.
- Work with team to continue to enhance existing processes, practices, technologies and tools to improve team effectiveness and product quality.
- Plan and estimate upcoming work
- Plan for and recruit staff
- Minimum 10+ years development experience, 3+ years acting in a development management role
- Experience with all aspects of developing software, including architecture, design, coding, test planning, testing, security, performance, and test automation.
- Expert knowledge with modern development practices and processes.
- Extensive experience with web service and/or API development.
- Possess experience in the Agile software development processes.
- Capable of enabling and managing a high-performance team with frequent product deliveries
- Demonstrated success at delivering projects on time and meeting all quality, security and performance criteria
- Leadership skills, including setting vision and mission with team and guiding the team to achieve the mission. Defining strategy to achieve the mission; conducting planning to execute on that strategy. Collaborating and communicating with the team to achieve the goals.
- Experience with a version control system such as GIT, Perforce, TFS, or SVN.
- Bachelor’s degree (Software Engineering or a related field is preferred).
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Must communicate well with the employees and customers.
- Ability to occasionally travel to various locations in the United States (10% – 20%).
Nice to Haves:
- Crystal Reports/SSRS experience.
- Prior experienceworking with a geographically distributed software development team.
- Experience with Construction related software applications
Successful candidates will be required to submit to criminal background check. Tilson offers a competitive benefits package, including:
- Paid time off
- Healthcare, dental and life insurance benefits
- 401(k) retirement savings plan with automatic company contribution
- Entrepreneurial, highly technical and customer-focused work environment