Shutterstock is a technology company that enables marketers, designers, businesses and creative professionals to find and license royalty free images, video and music for use on websites, ad campaigns, marketing materials and movies. Over 80 million stock photos, vectors, illustration, videos, and music tracks. More than 100,000 photographers, artists, videographers, and musicians upload and license their work via Shutterstock. We are the volume leader, selling 5 images per second. The Software Development Manager will help lead a team of Shutterstock’s Engineers in an agile environment.
- Develop a team-oriented, supportive culture with a strong focus on creating a working environment that fosters creativity and open communication, as well as one that demands discipline and results.
- Build a first-class Engineering team that will scale as the company and the Editorial business grows, identifying and filling any organizational gaps.
- Work with and train otherdevelopers to lead and manage their own teams.
- Constantly improve team productivity, refine agile processes, and create methods to increase efficiency.
- Investigate, analyze, and evangelize (if necessary) programming methodologies such as test-driven development, pair programming, etc.
- Perform personnel management tasks for all developers, including hiring, firing, performance reviews, promotions, compliance with company policies, mentoring, and helping plan career growth.
- Train new developers on our standards, culture, and policies.
- Attend all developer meetings and take responsibility for resolving problems.
- Work with the Chief Architect to help refine and improve the codebase.
- Encourage active participation in all phases of the project lifecycle, and work with project management to remove impediments and provide visibility to stakeholders.
- Proven track record of meeting aggressive schedules; clearly defining deliverables and timetables, with demonstrated an ability to balance multiple priorities in complex environments and manage teams to successful project completion.
- Demonstrated ability as an effective mentor and coach who understands how to successfully integrate into a team of talented developers.
- Prior software development experience building and designing websites with any of the following dynamic programming languages (Node.js, Java, PHP, Ruby, Python, Perl) at scale, powering multiple consumers.
- Strong Software development fundamentals, data structures, design patterns, Object-Oriented programming, architecture, algorithms and problem-solving skills.
- Very strong knowledge of how the Web works and how to make it efficient (HTTP, caching, page rendering, etc).
- Deep understanding and experience working on distributed/high trafficked systems, and preferably real-time systems and workflows with an emphasis on end-to-end speed.
- Experience with and enthusiasm for agile principles and values.
- Strong analytic, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work well under pressure, handling multiple tasks and balancing multiple objectives, while consistently ensuring that the highest priority objectives are met.