Amazon Softlines Marketing is seeking a Software Development Manager (SDM) to join our team that is focused on building mission critical software used by Amazon customers. The SDM role will be responsible for scoping and delivering large projects end-to-end. You will lead a talented team of engineers to create innovative ways to deliver technical solutions. Responsibilities include direct management of 5+ engineers, process and quality of service improvements, strategic planning, project management for software within the team, and management of resources across teams. Successful candidates will be strong leaders who can prioritize well, communicate clearly, and have a consistent track record of delivery. You will be expected to make appropriate tradeoffs to optimize time-to-market, clearly communicate goals, roles, responsibilities, and desired outcomes to internal cross-functional and remote project teams.
The right candidate will possess a strong program management background, will have demonstrated experience leading medium to large teams, and will have a well-rounded technical background in current technologies. You will anticipate bottlenecks, provide escalation management, anticipate and make tradeoffs, and balance the business needs versus technical constraints. Negotiation skills, ability to influence, analytical talent and leadership are essential to success in this role.
We have many domains ranging from highly-scalable transactional backend systems, to complex optimization problems, to customer facing mobile apps, so if you love building world-class software of any type, most likely we have a place for you. We're truly an agile shop: we work closely with users, deliver features with high frequency, can pivot on a dime when needed, and are passionate about test coverage, refactoring and paying off technical debt. We are looking for a development manager who shares our vision for continuously improving the customer experience, is motivated by challenging problems, and inspired to do what is right for the customer.
As a Software Development Manager, you will:
· Exhibit excellent judgment
· Hire and develop great people
· Maintain relentlessly high standards
· Manage ambiguity and competing priorities
· Communicate with senior management on status and risk management
· Stay connected to technical details and trends
· Define, measure, report and make decisions on metrics
· Strong results orientation
This opportunity is suited for a highly motivated and talented SDM who wants to apply and grow their technical depth and breadth while defining and driving a new customer experience for Amazon Fashion. If you have an entrepreneurial spirit, know how to deliver, are deeply technical, highly innovative and long for the opportunity to build pioneering solutions to challenging problems, we want to talk to you. This position is located in San Diego, California. Lots of sun, close to the beach, excellent schools, and a great group of people.
· Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, or equivalent knowledge, skills and industry experience
· 7+ years of relevant engineering experience
· 2+ years software engineering management experience
· Experience with OOD and object-oriented languages
· Demonstrated understanding of software development in a team delivering software on time
· Experience with Agile practices
· Experience working with teams building highly-distributed, large-scale solutions
· Excellent written, verbal and listening communication skills
· Ability to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical audiences