Software Development Engineer, Data Platform
Req. #: R24601
Location: Chicago – IL – US
Category: Technology & Product
Groupon is an experiences marketplace that brings people more ways to get the most out of their city or wherever they may be. By enabling real-time mobile commerce across local businesses, live events and travel destinations, Groupon helps people find and discover experiences––big and small, new and familiar––that make for a full, fun and rewarding life. Groupon helps local businesses grow and strengthen customer relationships––resulting in strong, vibrant communities. Even with thousands of employees spread across multiple continents, we still maintain a culture that inspires innovation, rewards risk-taking and celebrates success.
Are you a passionate, energetic and technology enthusiast eager to work at a rapid pace with the flexibility to work across our suite of technologies? Are you a problem solver; someone who enjoys debugging code, resolving issues, and creating solutions for common problems? Do you get a little obsessed with the details?
The Data Engineering team at Groupon is at the heart of all things “data”, working on designing and building the next-generation data pipelines for data-science/machine learning community users. Our mission is to empower data analysts & data-scientists across all business units to make better business decisions. This role offers a unique combination of skills in computer science (distributed systems, big data), cloud, scalable and high-performance production systems.
We're a "best of both worlds" kind of company. We're big enough to have resources and scale, but small enough that a single person has a surprising amount of autonomy and can make a meaningful impact. We're curious, fun, a little intense, and kind of obsessed with helping local businesses thrive. Does that sound like a compelling place to work?
Our development ecosystem:
- Languages: Python, Scala, Pyspark, SQL
- Frameworks: Hadoop, spark
- Source system: MySQL, PostgreSQL , Cassandra, Kafka, REST APIs ..etc
- EDW: Teradata, S3
- AWS Services: EMR, S3, IAM, RDS etc
- Tools: Airflow,, SQLworkbench
- Code Base: GitHub
- JIRA – Agile methodology
You’ll spend time on the following:
- Design, and implement the data pipelines providing access to large datasets and transforming power for data across the org
- Write complex but efficient code to transform curated data into business questions oriented datasets and data visualizations.
- Work with big data and distributed systems using technologies such as Spark, AWS EMR, and Python.
- Actively contribute to the adoption of strong software architecture, development best practices, and new technologies. We are always improving the process of building software; we need you to help contribute.
- Interface with other technology teams to extract, transform, and load data from a wide variety of data sources using open sources and AWS big data technologies
- Explore and learn the latest AWS technologies to provide new capabilities and increase efficiency
- Collaborate with Business Users, Infra Engineers , Data Scientists to recognize and help adopt best practices in data gathering and transforming big data
- Identify, design and develop new tools and processes to improvise the data storage and compute to help the Data Engineering and Data Consumption teams and users
We’re excited about you if you have:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, mathematics, or a related technical field
- 2+ years of relevant employment experience in data engineering or related fields
- Clear understanding of testing methodologies and AWS Best Practices
- A big plus if you have AWS experience and/or Certification
- Excellence in technical communication and experience working directly with stakeholders
- Clear understanding of data pipelines using big data technologies like Hadoop, Hive, Spark, EMR etc.
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate projects across functional teams, including engineering and product management
- Knowledge of software engineering best practices across the development lifecycle, including agile methodologies, coding standards, code reviews, source management, build processes, testing, and operations
We value engineers who are:
- Customer-focused: We believe that doing what’s right for the customer is ultimately what will drive our business forward.
- Obsessed with quality: Your production code just works & scales linearly
- Team players. You believe that more can be achieved together. You listen to feedback and also provide supportive feedback to help others grow/improve.
- Fast learners: We are willing to disrupt our existing business to trial new products and solutions. You love learning how to use new technologies and then rapidly apply them to new problems.
- Pragmatic: We do things quickly to learn what our customers desire. You know when it’s appropriate to take shortcuts that don’t sacrifice quality or maintainability.
- Owners: Engineers at Groupon know how to positively impact the business.