Virgin is renowned for providing a unique and exceptional customer experience. Whether in banking, travel, entertainment, health and fitness or communications, Virgin is one of the most desirable brands in the world. At Virgin Mobile USA, we connect people to the things that matter in life. The mobile world changes at a fast pace and so do we. We shook up the mobile industry with the launch of the Inner Circle by Virgin Mobile, changing the way that our customers experience mobile and, in the Virgin spirit, changing our business for good. To fuel this evolution, we need top shelf talent. Successful software development is predicated on having clear, accurate, and concise expressions of business needs and requirements which are translated into executable user stories and specifications. As a software development Business Analyst, the incumbent would be responsible for developing these requirements, specifications, user stories and associated UI flows by working with key customer and internal constituents during their development, along with the Development and Quality Assurance teams during their realization. The specific desire is for a candidate who can act as a Product Manager and "Scrum master" to take large stories (13+ story points) and break them down into smaller stories and implementation tasks, by working with developers, IT backend & systems teams and other constituents as needed. The analyst will be responsible for the UI flow based on user stories and backend functionalities and be asked to assist with "planning poker"-style estimation sessions, to assist the Software Development Director with preparation of velocity and backlog reports.
Software Development Business Analyst responsibilities include:
- Interacting with business teams, customers and internal staff to understand the business needs and document business requirements for product and web development, initiated either in support of client-requested customizations, product roadmap initiatives, or product roadmap exceptions.
- Critically understanding internal operations, solution architecture and systems with respect to the initiative.
- Translating requirements into technical specifications in the form of well-structured, groomed user stories and backlog items and working with the Product Owner, User Interface Analyst, and the Development team to refine requirements and specifications.
- Working with IT teams, system architects & front end developers to understand the backend system flows, processes, database and APIs end-point analysis and how that integrates and supports the front end so as to be able to define the front-end UI flows and behavior accordingly
- Based upon requirements, working with technical resources to understand the potential technical solution and acting as the User Interface Analyst to represent these user stories and solutions at regular estimation meetings to develop level-of-effort estimates for subsequent scheduling by the Product Owner.
- Working with the software developers and other end users during development sprints and post-sprint testing to answer requirements and specification questions.
- Working with the Quality Assurance team to develop a test plan for development initiatives. Occasional assistance will be needed for key defects.
- Participating with the team on deployment nights to represent the Product team in assuring proper deployments.
- Keeping his or her knowledge up to date with technical sector developments in the industry.
The ideal candidate will have the following attributes:
- Business mindset with experience driving metrics-oriented outcomes
- Demonstrated experience in developing go-to-market programs
- Technical aptitude. You speak the language and can interface with our product and engineering teams
- An entrepreneurial mindset, with the tenacity to develop ideas independently, ability to multitask and thrive in fast-paced environment is crucial
- A proven track record of leading and driving multiple complex programs to meet business objectives and a demonstrated ability to translate strategic initiatives into detailed operation plans
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills; highly motivated and effective within distributed teams with demonstrated experience engaging and influencing senior executives
- Bachelor's degree and eight years related work experience or twelve years relevant work experience post high school
- Five years’ experience as Software Business Analyst or product management
- Five years’ experience working on UI flows
- Five years’ experience working on software analysis process and methodologies including the various "agile" approaches (i.e. Scrum, Kanban, "Scrumban", XP, AUP, etc.)
- Advanced knowledge of web-based application solutions including SaaS
- Understanding of the social networking, constituent management, e-mail marketing, and funding campaign domain space
- Mid-level understanding of RESTful API end-point design, object-oriented concepts, and database design
- Mid-level understanding of mobile infrastructure, billing systems and platforms
- Familiarity with UML along with data, process, and object requirements analysis techniques
- Usage of wiki-tools or other knowledge management repository systems
- Experience with Targetprocess, JIRA, Rally or similar request management and tracking tools
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Excellent mediation and facilitation skills
- Excellent time management skills
- Ability to travel out-of-town to work with key customers when required. (Estimated < 10% travel)
Virgin Mobile USA is a subsidiary of Sprint.