The IT Specialist is responsible for effective provisioning, installation/configuration, operation, and maintenance of systems hardware and software and related infrastructure. This individual participates in technical research and development to enable continuing innovation within the infrastructure. This individual ensures that system hardware, operating systems, software systems, and related procedures adhere to organizational values, enabling staff, Customers, and Partners.
This individual is accountable for the following systems: Linux and Windows systems that support the corporate production infrastructure; Linux, Windows and Application systems that support Asset Management and Accounting. Responsibilities on these systems include System Administration (SA) engineering and provisioning, operations and support, maintenance and research and development to ensure continual innovation.
System Administration Engineering and Provisioning
- Engineering of SA-related solutions for various project and operational needs.
- Install new / rebuild existing servers and configure hardware, peripherals, services, settings, directories, storage, etc. in accordance with standards and project/operational requirements.
- Install and configure systems to support infrastructure applications or Asset Management applications.
- Develop and maintain installation and configuration procedures.
- Contribute to and maintain system standards.
- Research and recommend innovative and automated approaches for system administration tasks. Identify approaches that leverage our resources and provide economies of scale.
Operations and Support
- Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying completion of scheduled jobs such as backups.
- Perform regular security monitoring to identify any possible intrusions.
- Manage all daily and weekly backup operations, ensuring all required file systems and system data are successfully backed up to the appropriate media, recovery disks are created, and media is recycled and sent off site as necessary.
- Perform regular file archival and purge as necessary.
- Create, change, and delete user accounts per request.
- Provide desktop, server and general network support per request from employees and internal customers. Investigate and troubleshoot issues.
- Repair and recover from hardware or software failures. Coordinate and communicate with impacted personnel.
- Apply OS patches and upgrades on a regular basis, and upgrade administrative tools and utilities. Configure / add new services as necessary.
- Upgrade and configure system software that supports all internal infrastructure applications including Accounting and Asset Management applications per project or operational needs.
- Perform periodic performance reporting to support capacity planning.
- Perform ongoing performance tuning, hardware upgrades, and resource optimization as required. Configure CPU, memory, and disk partitions as required.
- Maintain data center environmental and monitoring equipment.
Experience and Education
- Bachelors degree with a technical major, such as engineering or computer science.
- Systems Administration for Linux, Microsoft and Apple device environments.
- Two to four years system administration experience.