At Pearson, we're committed to a world that's always learning and to our talented team who makes it all possible. From bringing lectures vividly to life to turning textbooks into laptop lessons, we are always re-examining the way people learn best, whether it's one child in our own backyard or an education community across the globe. We are bold thinkers and standout innovators who motivate each other to explore new frontiers in an environment that supports and inspires us to always be better. By pushing the boundaries of technology - and each other to surpass these boundaries - we create seeds of learning that become the catalyst for the world's innovations, personal and global, large and small.
TheIT Project Manager(ITPM) is responsible for managing technology projects using a variety of technology platforms. Operational excellence, market leadership, and innovation are our leading principles when delivering our programs.
The IT Project Manager ensures effective and efficient delivery of the technical components of an assessment program. The tasks associated with this technology delivery scope are grouped into two categories: 1)general project managementand; 2)technology project execution. The following is an overview of the specific activities within each category and a quantification of average time spent by staff across each category.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
General Project Management-40%
The following tasks are performed regularly by the ITPM and though the scope and level of complexity vary based on the program or project, the fundamental tasks remain consistent.
- Schedule development and management- Create the plan and schedule for technology tasks related to a given project.These tasks are mapped to the master schedule maintained by the Client Services Team and are aligned to one or more critical milestones as indicated and reported on through KeyedIn. The ITPM will work with internal Assessment Technology Engineering (ATE) functional teams, Client Services and other functional areas to baseline a project schedule that is mutually agreed upon and meets on time customer deliverables.
- Project management –lead regular project status meetings and work with internal ATE project resources including, Delivery Business Analysts, Data Analysts, Operational Processing Leads, and testers to monitor day to day progress of schedule activities, mitigates schedule misses with teams and escalates to ATE leadership and/or Client Services as appropriate.
- Cost (hours) tracking and management- Monitoring and reporting of actual hours worked on a given project compared to annual plan, quarterly forecast, and monthly variance reports. Actions are taken based on reviews of this information with technology line managers, program technology managers on corrective actions or scope adjustments.
- Risk and issue management- Identify and document risks to technology delivery and issues if and when a risk is realized. Formal entry of risks and issues is completed within Service Now and related project-specific risk registers.
Technology Project Execution-60%
The following tasks are performed daily by the ITPM and require in-depth knowledge of the software development lifecycle (SDLC), Pearson's assessment products, the enabling platforms (Jira, ServiceNow, AWS), and all technical requirements and related configurations.
- Engineering work breakdown and prioritization- Specify the detailed, lowest level tasks required to complete technology engineering and delivery work. Determine ownership and communicate these tasks to the appropriate technical staff or department manager. Monitor progress and reset project priorities as needed based on capacity constraints or other factors up and down stream.
- Product development story management- Based on project requirements, determine the engineering stories required to for program deliverables, and enter into the appropriate instance of Jira. Track progress of engineering stories and resolve blocks and related inquiries from business analysts, developers, and testers.
- Production incidents and defect resolution- Based on internal inputs or experiences in the field, enter defect details and related information into ServiceNow and partner with Incident Management and Operational Processing Lead to determine issue ownership and necessary resolution across Product Development, Program Delivery, Program Validation and Customer Data Quality teams. . Ensure the defect(s) are prioritized appropriately within Incident Management and verify the resolution prior to approving the closing of one or more ServiceNow tickets.
- Technology change management - Implement process changes and implement new/modified tools across the portfolio of programs and projects for which Assessment Technology is accountable, including: refined packaging & distribution inputs; modified data file inputs for report production and assembly; and changes to technology infrastructure and related allocations. Manage and track progress for routine migrations to production environments (e.g. configurations, testmaps).
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent required. PMP certification desired.
- A minimum of five (5) years of experience in technology project management, or software development with lead or manager responsibilities preferred. Five (5) years of experience in systems design and development desired.
- Ability to understand, analyze, and communicate technical designs, project issues, and project status is required.
- Experience supporting customer facing, high-volume, mission critical applications strongly preferred.
- Familiarity with MS Project, KeyedIn (or similar project tools) preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage project commitments to achieve quality solutions.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and lead project resources.
- Proven ability to adhere to software project management best practices.
- Demonstrated excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Ability to facilitate work groups with a high degree of professionalism, work ethic and integrity.
- Ability to incorporate technical and business knowledge in the analysis of customer solutions.
- Demonstrated ability to work productively with diverse teams.
- Ability to effectively present technical and non-technical information to customers and senior management.
- Demonstrated ability to estimate, plan, and monitor labor hours.
- Flexible and collaborative with occasional travel.