The Software Developer (Java, Mainframe) performs a variety of functions within Reinsurance IT that include analysis, design, development, testing, and execution of fully functional software. This role works closely with Product Owners, Business Analysts, Scrum Masters, Architects, and others on the agile development team to build out new application features according to acceptance criteria/requirements. The Associate Software Developer will support more than one programming language and several operating systems and platforms.
- Acts as a Java and CA Gen developer on an agile development team that supports a variety of work types (enhancements, projects, and daily production demands)
- Translates acceptance criteria/requirements into functional deliverables
- Writes high quality code within prescribed iterations
- Performs unit testing
- Analyzes issues and offers solutions for resolution with sense of urgency and priority
- Maintains automated test scrips (as applicable)
- Estimates user stories/size of efforts with accuracy and diligence
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Responsible for system programming and analysis tasks of intermediate complexity within a single system or group of small systems.
- Responsibilities include performing analysis, design, programming and configuration functions (includes defining technical requirements) with a very high degree of accuracy and speed.
- Performs analysis, assessment and resolution for defects and incidents of intermediate complexity and escalates appropriately.
- Builds effective relationships with stakeholders.
- Utilizes business knowledge to explain technical activities in business terms.
- Seeks opportunities to expand technical knowledge and capabilities.
- Performs basic project management responsibilities.
- Coordinates project work with GSO partners.
- Provides technical guidance and mentorship to less experienced employees.
- Applies knowledge of current industry trends and techniques to formulate solutions within the context of assigned projects.
High School diploma or equivalent required. 3 years of programming/development experience required.
Education, Work Experience & Knowledge
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field preferred.
- 3-5 years of programming/development experience preferred.
Job Specific & Technical Skills & Competencies
- Technical Knowledge: Demonstrates advanced programming/configuration/analytical skills to achieve business and or technical requirements. Able to work independently to resolve discrepancies, defects, incidents or problems with understanding of the business and system impacts. Able to identify and exercise appropriate escalation communications. Demonstrates an aptitude for learning and applying new and/or updated programming languages, techniques, and/or software development disciplines. Demonstrates understanding of the supported business systems.
- Communication Skills: Ability to communicate thoughts/designs/ideas in an unambiguous manner and adjusts communication based on audience. Exhibits active and effective communication skills with team members – including active listening and effective written and verbal communication skills. Effectively contributes and communicates with the immediate team.
- Business Knowledge & Partnership: Able to clearly and concisely communicate with the business. Demonstrates willingness, cooperation, and concern for business issues. Able to understand assigned business unit and business priorities. Able to coordinate with other technical areas to achieve project/department or division goals.
- Problem Solving & Decision Making: Able to recognize, analyze, and diagnose business and technical problems, incidents, and defects of advanced complexity. Able to creatively evaluate alternative solutions Able to reuse previously completed processes. Demonstrates the ability to make routine decisions independently and recognizes when escalation is necessary.
- Team Orientation: Ability to build and foster relationships with team, business, and technical partners to achieve objectives. Practices objectivity and openness to others’ views. Able to recognize and support team priorities. Leadership: Exhibits team leadership and collaborates with partners.
- Planning (Project Management): Able to manage time and competing priorities and provide management with accurate and timely status information. Able to accurately evaluate and estimate tasks.
- Financial Awareness: Able to understand how the project schedule relates to budget.
Requires weekend work hours. Requires overnight work hours. Requires holiday work hours (Federal and religious). Requires extended periods (1 or more weeks) of travel as needed. Requires travel up to 5% of time.
- Experience in designing and building applications
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with Java, Angular, Pivotal Cloud Foundry, and Microservices preferred
- Experience with large mainframe batch-based systems preferred
- Experience working in the Scaled Agile Framework preferred
- Experience partnering with onshore and offshore team members preferred.