American Airlines is looking for Software Developers of all levels. As a Software Developer at American Airlines, we expect you to be empathetic towards customers. American Airlines believes that our purpose is to care for our people on life's journey, customer or team member. We want teams to let that care guide how we work and what we build. As a developer on a product team at American Airlines you will create awesome experiences. Your team owns those experiences from conception to production, for millions of customers and more than 100,000 team members.
Our goal is to create an enviable, engineering-centric workplace. What does that mean though? Deploying is painless, you have a strong voice, communication flows, we experiment with our products, and we exploit new technology to continuously improve how we work. Of course, we also want to make sure we are having fun, working with, and caring for - amazing people.
Why you'll love this job
Successful Software Developers at American Airlines excel in three key areas:
- Software Delivery
- Product Mindset
- Growth Mindset
Software Development Teams at American Airlines find ways to improve daily work. This means taking an honest look at delivery metrics and asking what we will do to improve them. We expect a team to ask "why has our deployment frequency declined over the last month?" and work towards a solution to improve the situation as a team, under their own direction. In short, we want everyone to invest in continually improving themselves and their ways of working, while achieving product success.
You will engage in all aspects of the Product lifecycle and work to grow your skills in Lean Product Development. We expect our engineers to dig in and solve business problems as true partners. We love small solutions and collecting data to draw conclusions.
To build new solutions and chase new hypotheses, our teams are constantly learning. We accept failures as learning experiences and use those experiences to build resiliency in our systems.
Depending on level, the role is a balance of technical coaching and hands-on development work. All Software Developers write code daily, regardless of level.
What you'll do
- Accountable for software delivery as well as influencing the team to find new behaviors and ways of working based on frequent inspection and rapid feedback.
- Facilitate team ceremonies in conjunction with appropriate team members.
- Identify gaps in agile and technical practices and collaboratively seek remedies for them.
- Identify purposeful ways to question the status quo and lead experiments on alternatives, seeking increased customer value or new learnings or both.
- Develop soft skills (communication, business orientation, adaptability, constructive feedback). Make use of existing practices, such as pair programming. Work with the delivery manager to identify training and growth opportunities. Recommend personal growth paths in conjunction with Delivery Manager.
- Help articulate and eliminate team blockers with the Delivery Manager (as needed).
- Participate in architecture and software design with the Squad - in general, encourages the team to work on new ideas and emergent, iterative design. Focuses on constructively arguing against solutions that are not a fit, if necessary.
- Partners with the Product Owner (presenting Playback, keeping focus on business value, etc.) as needed to support the overall Squad's delivery.
- A strong willingness to learn and the ability to show vulnerability when you do not know something
All you'll need for success
Required (At least 3 of the following):
- Proven experience in at least one object-oriented language
- Proven experience in at least one web framework, preferably including Spring, Spring Boot, or ASP.NET Core
- Proven experience in SQL and ability to design relational database schemas
- Ability to function in a Linux/Unix environment using shell commands
- Ability to scrutinize applications and services to ensure they adhere to security standards
- Working experience building business-critical, Internet scale distributed systems or high-volume client/server systems
- Ability to work as part of a team, always keeping the team's goal in mind
- Experience using source control management systems
- Exposure to using continuous integration/deployment environments
- Experience delivering software using an Agile methodology like Extreme Programming, Kanban, or Scrum
- Product experience with any of the following:
- Test Driven Development (TDD)
- Testing Pyramid
- Multi-threading and concurrency
- Debugging, performance profiling and optimization
- Object-oriented and service-oriented application development patterns
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related fields or equivalent experience
- Internally motivated, able to work proficiently both alone and in a team environment
- Adept and comfortable communicating with internal team members and external business stakeholders
- Demonstrated ability to find creative ways of improving and simplifying solutions, systems, and processes without getting bogged down in blockers or bottlenecks
We may also consider a Senior role for you if in addition, you have at least 2 of the following:
- Experience leading and managing small to medium-sized development teams of between 5 and 25 developers
- Previous experience founding or working as a founding engineer at a technology startup from concept to MVP and subsequent releases
- Previous experience as a designer, product owner/manager, or business role (marketing, sales, finance, etc.)
- Production DevOps experience and the ability to build CI/CD (Jenkins) pipelines
- Experience writing production shell scripts in a Linux/Unix environment
What you'll get
Feel free to take advantage of all that American Airlines has to offer:
- Travel Perks: Ready to explore the world? You, your family and your friends can reach 365 destinations on more than 6,800 daily flights across our global network.
- Health Benefits: On day one, you’ll have access to your health, dental, prescription and vision benefits to help you stay well. And that’s just the start, we also offer virtual doctor visits, flexible spending accounts and more.
- Wellness Programs: We want you to be the best version of yourself – that’s why our wellness programs provide you with all the right tools, resources and support you need.
- 401(k) Program: Available upon hire and, depending on the workgroup, employer contributions to your 401(k) program are available after one year.
- Additional Benefits: Other great benefits include our Employee Assistance Program, pet insurance and discounts on hotels, cars, cruises and more
Feel Free to be yourself at American
From the team members we hire to the customers we serve, inclusion and diversity are the foundation of the dynamic workforce at American Airlines. Our 20+ Employee Business Resource Groups are focused on connecting our team members to our customers, suppliers, communities and shareholders, helping team members reach their full potential and creating an inclusive work environment to meet and exceed the needs of our diverse world.
Are you ready to feel a tremendous sense of pride and satisfaction as you do your part to keep the largest airline in the world running smoothly as we care for people on life’s journey? Feel free to be yourself at American.