The Infrastructure Area – Network Automation product team is looking for a highly motivated developer/scripter, preferably with a background in network and linux, focused on implementing new/innovation solutions for improving the quality, speed, and efficiency of Network related IT services. As an automation focused developer, your daily job will be a combination of designing, building, and maintaining automation solutions. You will get an opportunity to work with and learn a variety of technologies and frameworks that are essentially boundless while you build and maintain a highly available high speed cross capability automation infrastructure. The desired technical competencies listed below are in order by most desirable.
Skills/Professional Experience Desired:
- Experience with data or telephony network infrastructure environment.
- Identify automation opportunities by working with business partners using Agile principles.
- Assess existing automation frameworks, solutions, and procedures for potential improvements.
- Develop and maintain self service capabilities for consumption of automated services.
- Develop and maintain customer facing web services & applications for interaction with automation solutions.
- Strong troubleshooting skills across multiple tools and platforms.
- Ability to navigate the organization and collaborate across teams and locations.
- Ability to cultivate effective working relationships across various levels of the organization.
- Ability to quickly adapt to a changing environment and learn new technologies.
- Ability to share knowledge, coach and mentor others.
- Ability to foster innovation, encourage diversity of thought, and incorporate new ideas.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Scripting languages (Perl/Python/Shell) or similar languages desired.
- Web frameworks (Node.js/Ember/Angular/Knockout.js/Bootstrap).
- Web services (SOAP/REST) & data formats (XML/JSON).
- Source Code Repository & Integration Solutions (Git/Puppet/Jenkins).
- Linux (RHEL7)/Apache/Tomcat & other open source technologies.
- Knowledge of SQL/database query languages.
- Understanding of telecommunications technologies such as SNMP, Cisco IOS, general monitoring/management tooling.
- Experience integrating 3rd party software & enterprise automation solutions.
- Software Architecture experience or knowledge.
- Splunk dashboards, reports, and development.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Possesses an understanding of how technology solutions meet the business outcomes and offers a range of solutions for business partners; understand business current and aspirational needs
- Participates in sprint planning; provides work estimates to deliver product stories; owns development stories
- Develops solutions on variety of platforms according to business requirements
- Completes required coding to satisfy the defined acceptance criteria and deliver desired outcome
- Leads solution design, considering risks, mitigations, performance, user experience, and testability
- Assists in development of automated testing and supporting code as necessary
- Completes required documentation to communicate information to deployment, maintenance, and business teams
- Utilizes agile software development practices, data and testing standards, code reviews, source code management, continuous delivery, and software architecture
- Participates in the full software development cycle including coding, testing, implementation, support and sunset
- Designs, develops, tests and supports software in support of big data objectives
- Possesses an understanding of User Experience practices to improve usability and interaction between the customer and product
- Adopts Service Design, where appropriate, through architecture modularity to enable continuous delivery
- Considers applying emerging technology solutions to increase efficiency and effectiveness; expectation of continuous innovation
- Resolves problems that result in a decreased time to market; improves quality, enhances flexibility, and embraces the solution provider mindset
- Provides input into overall testing plan; contributes to test approach and scenarios for requirements
- Provides product and/or process expertise necessary to support design, development, testing and execution of solutions
- Exhibits DevOps mindset where team is accountable for product from inception to sunset
This position will have an 18-month incumbency period, beginning on the effective date of the position, which must be met before the employee can post for any other lateral State Farm position. Employees may be considered for openings for Technology Engineer positions or promotional opportunities into leadership at any time, and into a promotional position within the same job structure after 6 months from the effective date of the position. In these cases, the remaining incumbency would be waived. The incumbency period does not affect the at-will relationship between State Farm and the employee and does not create an employment contract, nor contractual rights.
- Job may require travel via commercial transportation and/or driving motor vehicles
- Job may require irregular work hours and travel outside normal business hours