There are 7 billion people on this planet. And by 2050, there will be 2 billion more... many moving into urban centers at an unprecedented rate. Making sure there is enough food, fiber and infrastructure for our rapidly growing world is what we're all about at John Deere. And it's why we're investing in our people and our technology like never before in our 175-year history. Here the world's brightest minds are tackling the world's biggest challenges. If you believe one person can make the world a better place, we'll put you to work. RIGHT NOW.
Primary Location: United States (US) - Iowa (US-IA) - Urbandale
Function: Product Engineering
Title: Software Developer - 60282
As a Software Developer, you will join a team of passionate developers and testers to design, develop, test, and integrate applications of high complexity. We operate in a collaborative, open environment focused on using Agile development techniques to autonomously deliver solutions quickly and effectively. In addition, you will:
- Develop and support high-quality John Deere user-facing software solutions which include web applications and RESTful APIs
- Engage in Agile software development activities, including sprint planning, daily standups, retrospectives and hackathons
- Collaborate with stakeholders, architects and supporting teams to define product requirements and system design
- Provide and discuss innovative technical solutions with designers and other stakeholders
- Advocate for a culture of software crafting best practices, including Test Automation, Continuous Integration, and Continuous Deployment
- Work with individuals on your team to create and follow established coding standards, workflow, or tool standards
- Pair frequently with junior and senior members of the team
- Incorporate customer feedback to ensure you are producing technical solutions that meet their needs
VISA Sponsorship is NOT available for this position.
What Skills You Need
At this level, you should have professional experience as an outstanding individual developer applying solid development practices. Here's what that looks like:
- 2 or more years of experience with Test Driven Development
- 2 or more years of experience with Agile and XP software development practices
- 2 or more years of experience in roles that required strong interpersonal communication and collaboration skills
- 2 or more years of experience in roles that required strong analytical and problem-solving skills
What Makes You Stand Out
Beyond just being generally awesome, other areas of experience or interest that will help us place you on the right team are listed below. In our experience, being a great developer isn't really tied to your current technology stack, so don't fret if these don't line up with your exact skillset.
- Back-end experience using REST web services, Java, Spring, Hibernate, relational databases
- Amazon Web Services using Elastic Beanstalk, Lambda, API Gateway, SQS, SNS, Kinesis, S3, RDS, etc.
- XP Practices, such as: Acceptance Test Driven Development, Continuous Integration / Continuous Deployment, Jenkins or Drone
- Database experience - Data modeling and SQL
Education (or equivalent work experience)
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science/Engineering related discipline