Management Science Associates, Inc. (MSA) is a diversified information management company that for nearly half a century has given market leaders the competitive edge in data management, analytics and technology. We are currently seeking an Applications Analyst for this exciting role. This position is responsible for the design, implementation, change control, and support using MSA's Workload Automation Scheduling (BMC Control-M) system, which defines factory operational processes. You will be working with application and system owners across the organization to design, configure and schedule production batch jobs across a multi-platform enterprise infrastructure. The Applications Analyst will be responsible for defining and understanding work processes, job plan dependencies, and to help enforce production control policies and procedures.
Liaison & Management:
- Identify and resolve complex workload automation and job scheduling issues
- Collaborate with Application Development Managers and functional (business) users to define and develop job flows for new applications. Code test, and implement as required
- Apply IT concepts to perform complex analyses and functions from multiple IT areas of specialization
- Continually design and deploy job scheduling infrastructure
- Integrate research and best practices into problem avoidance and continuous improvement
- Provide independent judgment in methods, techniques and evaluation criteria to obtain best possible automation
- Ability to effectively communicate across third parties, technical and business owners on solution design
- Present complex findings to various levels of the organization to ensure the automation plan matches the business needs.
- Gather future requirements, address concerns (meeting/not meeting SLAs) and identify new protocols and application changes that may impact production job flows and schedules
- Responsible for business analysis of functional users and issues in support applications under development.
- Assist application developers with coding, testing and implementing various process to support the workload automation
- Increase job related knowledge of open systems (UNIX, Windows) job scheduling software, system utilities and MS Office programs
Development of Standards:
- Support standards, policies & procedures for workload automation across the enterprise
- Develop and document Production Control processes and procedures which are complex in nature.
- Develop & define new protocols and standards based on business needs.
- Perform missed Service Level Agreement (SLA) investigations, review audit and control processes, change management, process architecture, and other job scheduling issues. Report results and identify solutions where applicable.
- Enforce Production Control standards and policies
Production Control & Trouble-Shooting:
- Guide and manage the conversion and migration of existing jobs/schedules into BMC Control-M
- Code and test converted/migrated jobs and schedules prior to production turnover.
- Using the distributed job scheduling software Control-M and various Control Modules troubleshoot and reconcile job issues based on review of AJF or Queue associated with job streams/flows for production schedules.
- Guide the application of filters to limit AJF review and analysis to specific applications. Analyze display log messages associated with the completed execution of a job.
- Problem-solve and analyze issues to code, schedule, execute and confirm successful completion of complex ADHOC production job requests.
- Advise Application Development Services on proper sequencing of tasks.
- Four-year degree in Computer Science/Information Technology, Engineering or related discipline, or equivalent experience
- Minimum one year of relevant experience with software automation, systems engineering, application analysis or related position. Must have experience with Job scheduling software preferably BMC Control-M
- Experience in building and supporting a test environment, running batch cycles for testing is required
- Functions as a member of an agile team and helps drive consistent development practices – tools, common components, and documentation
- Knowledge of relational databases (Oracle and Microsoft database technologies), SQL
- Knowledge of Linux, AIX, and Microsoft Server platforms
- Ability to work independently, on multiple projects
- Organized and attentive to detail
- Strong communications skills, verbal and written (incl standards, documentation)
- Ability to work effectively with minimal direction
- Demonstrated willingness to learn new technologies and takes pride in how fast they develop working software
- Desirable: general knowledge of Business Intelligence and Data Warehousing technologies and solutions
- Ability to enable business capabilities through innovation