ABB is seeking Software Architecture Engineer for it's Bartlesville, Oklahoma location. Systems engineering consists of the design, development and introduction of systems to effectively utilize state-of-the-art developments encompassing various engineering and related fields and associated products. It also includes cost/benefits analyses and projected return on investment. Under limited direction, perform a variety of complex engineering assignments requiring in-depth knowledge of a specific engineering discipline plus an understanding of related disciplines to cost effectively achieve objectives. Assignments typically require the use of advanced and innovative techniques. Proactively seek and implement initiatives to improve operations and increase customer satisfaction.
Typical duties/responsibilities for engineering may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Act as principal investigator or lead a group of engineers investigating problems, developing solutions and preparing related recommendations and reports as it relates to real-time embedded systems and cloud computing for the oil and gas market.
• Work with Product Management to understand customers’ challenges and propose product/system solutions that address those challenges and bring value to the customer and ABB.
• Present and make a case for recommended systems and architectures to peers, product managers, developers, key stake holders, others…
o Make use of diagrams to show such things as: Functional blocks, Data flow, Use Case, Sequence, Block Diagram, Signal Flow, Small to Enterprise Architectural frameworks, Model-based Systems Engineering
o Able to use and show a decision matrix where multiple choices could be made using appropriate weighting for each decision criteria.
• Take a holistic and strategic approach to requirements for complex systems to:
o Understand what brings value to the customer
o Understand how the organization can realize the requirements in the most efficient and cost effective way
o Understand product life cycles
o Strategic and innovative thinking required
• Understand impact of and plan for reliability, uptime, maintainability, failure modes and effects
• Ability to break down a complex system into component systems and define interactions, interfaces and API’s between them. This includes but is not limited to:
o Determine the optimal allocation of functionality between hardware and software components within the system
o Choose between FPGA, microcontrollers, CPUs and/or CPU modules needed to meet system requirements
o Determine OS needs and choose from a range of OS’s including Linux, RT Linux and /or other small foot print RTOS’s
o Research and determine the best alternatives between the use of commercial off the shelf, open source and/or previously developed components for both hardware and software components within the system
• Perform system architecture of specific systems based on systems requirements
o Recommend hardware architecture
o Recommend software architecture
o Recommend testing methodologies
o Recommend system hardware and software deployment and maintenance based on accepted methods
o Drive innovation in all the above to reduce time to market and increase quality
• Manage for Systems Engineering to include:
o Development Phasing
o Base lining
o Life Cycle Planning
o Engineering Processing
o Life Cycle Integration
o Integrated Teaming
• Understand impact of and plan for regulatory requirements
o Hazardous areas as defined by NEC and other agencies (Class/Division ratings, ATEX, IECEx…)
o RF and EMC
o FCC, UL, CE and other agency compliance
• Apply state-of-the-art engineering principles in software, electrical/electronic, RF, mechanical, assembly, manufacturing and other related processes to systems engineering and architecture. Innovate to provide market leading products that put ABB ahead of competitors
• Use system level modeling and simulation for system design and architecture and proof of concept prototyping
• Design for software development and deployment using virtual environments and deploying on any host platform running virtualization.
• System design for the “Cloud” and support industry 4.0 and the Internet of Things and all its variants.
• As a lead software developer, work with and/or lead a development team to accelerate development projects
• Explore and model all aspects of a system that can affect safety, reliability, upgradeability, life cycle, performance, scalability, cost, manufacturability
• Understand OSI layer and other layered model approaches to system architecture
• Propose multiple design alternatives and assess alternatives based on relevant constraints such as; cost, schedule, space, power, safety, usability, reliability, maintainability, availability.
• Bachelor's Degree and minimum of 8 years of experience; alternatively, a special combination of education and experience and/or demonstrated accomplishments.
• Candidates must already have a work authorization that would permit them to work for ABB in the US.
• Bachelor's Degree in an engineering and minimum of 12 years of experience.
• Development cycle including such things as gate models and interdisciplinary teams and dynamics.
• Modeling and simulation and their advantages and disadvantages and utilize these techniques and others for design and proof of concept prototyping
• Software development and deployment using virtual environments and deploying on any host platform running virtualization.
• Software development for the “Cloud” and Industry 4.0 and the Internet of Things and all its variants.
• Object-oriented analysis, design and implementation using C or C++ language (8 years)
• Strong understanding of embedded real-time development including an understanding of real-time operating system concepts and design issues (8 years)
• Defining & using software development methodologies such as Agile and software development life cycle & processes (8 years)
• Deploying and working with Integrated Development Environments (IDEs)/development tools such as Visual Studio, Eclipse, Code Composer, NI CVI, Microsoft TFS, HP-ALM, Git, Jenkins, UML (8 years)
Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action at ABB
ABB is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace.