About the Position
WatchGuard offers a unique set of opportunities allowing engineers to explore a wide range of challenges. As a smaller-sized company, engineers are able to work with multiple technologies that focus on security solutions, cloud services, embedded systems, and networking. In addition to the breadth of technologies, engineers assume full ownership of their work including design, development, and validation. This creates an exciting and ever challenging environment that fosters personal growth and career opportunities. WatchGuard is looking for individuals that are creative, open to learn new technologies, and don't accept the status quo.
We are seeking a Systems Architect position to research and develop WatchGuard's next generation Wi-Fi products and solutions. The scope includes both the access points, hardware and firmware, and the management platform in WatchGuard's cloud environment. At WatchGuard, you will be a member of our agile development team where we are developing new products and solutions for our end users. We believe that by leveraging new and emerging technologies we can enable business outcomes to improve their performance. If you are looking for a challenge, like solving complex problems, and have a "can do" attitude, then we want to meet you.
- Research, analysis, and creation of system architecture for complex problems in a manner consistent with WatchGuard's technology, products, and customer needs.
- Design solutions that are scalable, secure, and can be suitably divided for full stack development teams to consume.
- Participates in the implementation by advising developers, reviewing code, and by socializing critical aspects of the design.
- Works with other Engineers, UX designers, and Product Managers to weigh pros and cons of architectural choices.
- Works with Product Management, as required, to resolve product requirement questions.
- As part of our agile development methodology, contribute insights for continuous improvement.
- Provides support to QA as necessary to isolate and resolve issues found during testing.
- Works with Technical support team to resolves escalated issues.
- Independently manages own time according to commitments and priorities.
- Provides extensive mentoring and assistance to more junior engineers, including problem decomposition, unit test strategy, design strategy, code reviews, and security best practices.
- Provides project status updates to managers and executives.
Skills and Qualifications
- Proficient in IEEE 802.11 standards and basic Wi-Fi operations
- Proficient in software development; one or more of the following languages is preferred: C/C++, Go, Java, Python
- Proficient in the Linux operating system environment
- Proficient in embedded system design
- Basic knowledge of networking protocols, topologies, and operations
- Basic knowledge of cloud development environments, cloud-based architectures
- Knowledge of IT security principles and protection mechanisms is a plus
- Knowledge of Open-WRT
- Good communication skills, both oral and written
- Works well with others; ability to mentor
- 7+ years of relevant work experience
- BS degree in Computer Science or related technical discipline
- Project experience in Wi-Fi/802.11 development and/or deployments
- Prior experience designing a system or portion of a system from the start of the project or part of a major redesign effort
- Project experience with network protocols, topologies, and/or operations