Location: Apple Valley, MNDepartment: Technology Platforms
Type: Full TimeMin. Experience: Experienced
SUMMARY: At Questar we build large scale, high volume platforms to help educators measure what students know and can do, providing them with the insights necessary to improve education. We are in the process of re-engineering our platforms to be more service oriented cloud native applications and are looking for software architects to join our team of talented software professionals. As a software architect, you will lead the design and engineering work to build the next generation of our systems.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Implement designs, systems, and practices to ensure stable, reliable, and accurate platforms.
- Work with your colleagues at Questar to understand the business so that you can design elegant technology solutions for our clients.
- Build a community of engineering practice through leadership and mentoring of technology staff members.
- Work with engineering teams to implement engineering best practices such as CI/CD, automated testing, DevOps, SecOps, etc.
- Provide architectural and tech stack oversight for multiple engineering teams building related services.
- Collaborate with other leaders within Questar to determine our long-term strategy for building platforms and providing services to our clients.
- Think creatively and look for opportunities to use technology to innovate in the world of assessment
- Design and implement modern, service centric platforms using cloud native technologies (AWS).
- Document what you have built so humans can read it later.
- Rationalize technology investments to non-tech colleagues.
- Write code.
- Communicate all concepts and approaches to the development team.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or similar discipline
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY REQUIREMENTS
- 8+ years of software engineering experience, including experience designing and building large scale web apps and/or data management systems in an AWS or Azure environment.
- Deep understanding of software product development practices, including strategy, design, usability, and implementation.
- Proven ability to build and lead cross-functional teams of technology, design, and business professionals.
- Ability to build a culture of collaboration and high performance.
- Demonstrated ability to drive accountability for results within tight schedules and project plans.
- Outstanding written, spoken, and presentation communication skills, including exceptional ability to present to internal and external audiences and represent the product and the organization in a variety of contexts. Proven experience demoing software prototypes and products and explaining the value to a wide variety of stakeholders, including end users, customers, business partners, and regulators.
- Experience in large scale, summative, or state assessment market strongly preferred.