The Human Energy of S&C
Integrity, enthusiasm, sustained energy. These are the traits that S&C has always looked for and found when seeking people to join our 100% employee-owned team. S&C supports these qualities with a strong package of pay and benefits, excellent education and training programs, a challenging work environment, and broad opportunities for advancement.
Address of Location: 6601 N Ridge Blvd, IL, Chicago 60626
Education Requirements: Bachelor's Required
Relevant Work Experience Requirements: 11 to 15 Years
The Advanced Development team, located in Chicago, IL, Alameda, CA and Rockville, MD drives the creation of new opportunities for S&C Electric Company by exploiting new technologies and enabling breakthrough product development for the fast-evolving intelligent (smart) grid (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVrfxa4JM0A). Our products must be reliable, available and operate real time in harsh environments to satisfy our customers’ mission critical objectives. To meet our demands, and those of our customers, we need agile, creative and determined individuals. This position reports to the Manager - Real Time Embedded Software.
The responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Conducting all necessary development work pertinent to software design including, architecture design, specifications, analysis, design, implementation, testing and related documentation.
- Working with stakeholders to establish requirements, set criteria for success and solve problems to deliver the best possible system-level solution
- Resolving problems without escalation and with minimal supervision.
- Development of code for multi-core and distributed-processor environments as well as FPGAs using VHDL or Verilog.
- Demonstrated experience of hardware/software integration projects.
- Knowledge of electric power concepts, power system theory, and real-time simulation tools.
To select this job as one of interest to you, at a minimum, you must have the following:
- BS or MS degree in Electrical Engineering, Power Engineering, Computer Science or a related discipline
- Demonstrated knowledge of the design, coding, testing, verification, validation and support of embedded microprocessor code for networked industrial controllers, preferably for electric utility grid distribution automation
- Technical leadership abilities with good interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to travel less than 10% of the time with some periods lasting more than a week
- At least ten years of experience in the design and development of real-time, mission critical embedded controller software
- Excellent understanding of Embedded Software Development using microcontrollers and Digital Signal Processors (DSPs) in particular, with detailed knowledge of the processors on which embedded software runs
- Thorough knowledge of programming in C particularly in developing applications running on an embedded RTOS
- Expertise in developing microcontroller-based, real-time data acquisition and control applications
- Detailed understanding of digital signal processing (DSP) architecture, concepts, real-time processing, and digital filtering
- Extensive experience developing real-time, electromechanical control systems for complex mechanisms
- Comfort with tools such as debuggers, oscilloscopes and logic analyzers to aid in hardware debugging
- Experience with automated testing methodology, code coverage and static analysis tools
- Ability to architect DSP solutions and quickly understand existing codebase
MAJOR PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Standing: Occasional, during testing, sample preparation or process observation.
- Lifting: Occasional light lifting, infrequent lifting up to 50 lbs. for mock-up or test sample preparation.
- Walking: Occasional walking of moderate distances (1 mile) within the S&C complex.
- Carrying: Occasional carrying of light objects for short distances.
- Pushing: Infrequent use of manual hand truck to move samples or mock-ups.
- Pulling: Infrequent use of manual hand truck to move samples or mock-ups.
- Bending: Occasional bending during mock-up assembly or test sample preparation.
- Reaching: Occasional reaching during mock-up assembly or test sample preparation.
- Handling: Occasional handling of parts and tools during mock-up assembly or test sample preparation.
- Other: Frequent use of computer workstation monitor, keyboard and mouse.