Motiva Enterprises is on a journey to become the safest and most profitable downstream company in the U.S. Motiva currently owns and operates the largest refinery in the U.S. and has announced a major growth strategy in Refining, Chemicals and Base Oils. In addition, Motiva has its own trading organization and a strategic distribution network of product terminals across the eastern and southern parts of the U.S. delivering quality gasoline and petroleum products to Shell and 76- branded retail outlets. Be part of a dynamic and nimble organization where your talents are rewarded and your efforts make a difference in the company’s performance
Motiva Mechanical Integrity – Fixed Equipment SME (Subject Matter Expert) serves as the corporate technical expert for fixed equipment for Motiva. Provide leadership, technical direction and approve changes to Motiva fixed equipment standards. Provide technical support and advise on equipment repairs, new equipment purchases and communicate with the fixed equipment community on novel technology which may have significant improvement in reliability and performance.
Mechanical Integrity – Fixed Equipment SMEs are located in Motiva headquarters in Houston, support fixed equipment engineering needs across the Motiva’s Downstream Facilities.
The position, works in concert with the Mechanical Integrity – Corrosion and Materials SME to:
- Provide guidance, direction and assist with the long-term strategy to increase the reliability of fixed equipment (include piping, pressures vessels, tanks, fired equipment, and other fixed equipment assets).
- Motiva’s Refinery Tanks Program including strategic plan for inspection & maintenance, cost controls, and best practice application.
- Staying informed of industry technology and innovation, disseminate new technology information to the Motiva fixed equipment engineering community.
- Providing second level support for addressing recurring fixed equipment problems.
- Support the fixed equipment discipline in reviewing management of change (MOC) on technically complicated changes.
- Provides key technical support for fixed equipment on capital projects.
- Provide direction and technical advice on proactive monitoring of fixed equipment issues to minimize plant risk.
- Provide guidance and expertise on troubleshoot complex fixed equipment issue.
- Mentor site unit engineers and operations staff to enhance their knowledge.
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering.
- Minimum of fifteen (15) years’ experience with Mechanical Integrity - fixed equipment within the manufacturing (refinery or chemical plant) or oil & gas industry.
- Active member of relevant industry associations such as: API & ASME and respected as an expert in their field by the industry at large.
- Expert on repairing and evaluating fixed equipment per API, NBIC, and ASME standards. Current API 510, 570, and 653 certificate a plus.
- Proficient in applying methodologies for Fitness for service per API 579 (FFS – Fitness for Service Standard)
- Proficient in analysis software (ex: CAESAR, PV Elite, Compress, etc.)
- Provide expert knowledge on equipment failures and assist with less experienced engineers on specific modes of failure for various equipment types.
- Strong Communication and stakeholder engagement skills
- Business acumen and the ability to influence Senior-level Management investment decisions
- Demonstrated experience within large capital projects and equipment selection to maximize Motiva long term reliability goals.
- Proven ability to apply causal analysis or other root cause failure analysis methodologies to identify root cause of fixed equipment failures.
- Proven experience working with people in an operating plant.