What you will do
The Sr Smart Buildings Design Engineer is part of our Building Technology & Solutions business at Johnson Controls. Due to the growth of our BWSI business (Building Wide System Integration) we are seeking a seasoned Design Engineer to assist with developing and designing network and low voltage system Projects for large commercial buildings. Design Projects for Commercial building within these industries: healthcare, airports, government, school systems, stadiums, arena markets etc. Such projects will include designing nurse call systems, audio video, controls, etc. This person can work remote close to the San Francisco Bay area where most of our business is located in the region. Must be willing to travel to customer sites for design meetings and presenting project designs. We're looking for a seasoned professional, come join our growing Technology business.
Supports sales teams, works closely with our customers and serving as technical expert. Conducts needs assessment of potential customers. Leads engineering, process, and / or financial tasks during project development. Leads a development team on large, complex, high-risk projects.
How you will do it
Under general direction, ensures proactive sales engineering design, development and profitable growth of our BWSI business which falls into three main categories: Network Infrastructure, Integration and IT & Communication Applications design. Support sales across all vertical markets and lines of business in the assigned region. Bundled offers to include technology contracting bundling of BWSI and standalone BWSI sales engagements in a fast pace, team - oriented sales environment. Multi-tasks across numerous sales engagements by providing engineering support within the discovery, verify, present/propose and close stages of the Johnson Controls sales process with credibility and passion.
- Provides support as the regional subject matter expert for all BWSI Solutions. Supports and designs building automation and physical security solutions that require an IT Infrastructure and/or integration.
- Partners with the sales team to conduct a needs assessment of customer requirements, critical areas, needs and budget.
- Partners with the sales team to develop a scope of work and supporting documentation, to include conceptual solution options, diagrams, workflow, business case, etc. to support a compelling winning solution.
- Performs site surveys and walk-through of customer facilities/networks to further assist sales and engineering efforts. Meets and interacts with customer IT staff for the purpose of gathering information for sales and engineering efforts.
- Manages proposal activities, such as Request for Proposal/Information (RFP), (RFI), renewals and re-bids by providing edits and reviews of written solution plans and requirements. Manages proposal process, including working with Legal, Human Resources, Finance and Proposal Development.
- Provides scope definition and systems development assistance for outside partners and suppliers, electrical subcontractors and VARs including; scope, terms and conditions, bid forms, and contract reviews.
- Supports training for regional personnel on BWSI estimating tool sets. Updates region estimating team on current processes, tools and material pricing.
- Reviews the proposed solution designs with the estimating team, sales team and appropriate operations team to obtain mutual agreement.
- Leads portions of the presentation to the C-level or economic client as needed by presenting the scope of work and functional demonstrations for all BWSI solutions.
- Assists in training regional employees on the basics of wired and wireless Networks, Integrations and other key BWSI application solutions, ensuring that the sales and operation teams understand our solutions and how to address customers’ needs.
- Represents the sales team in operational reviews of BWSI projects for final solution, costing estimate and operational risk assessment.
- Works as a liaison with the Regional Sales Manager - BWSI and the National BWSI Program Development Manager to ensure the latest best practices are incorporated within the client solutions.
- Visits or spends time on customer project sites to assist and troubleshoot network related issues pertaining to BWSI as needed.
What we look for
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Network Engineering, Engineering Technology or equivalent experience.
- MBA highly desirable.
- Minimum of 8 years of experience in Engineering & Sales Engineering in the areas of LAN/WAN architecture, wireless, integration, IT & Communication applications and structure cabling.
- Certifications a plus in: Network design, engineering, wireless, RCDD.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, customer interface skills, problem solving and a strong collaborator.
Johnson Controls is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.