We are in need of software and service focused Site Reliability Engineers (SREs) to ensure reliable delivery of projects (and food!) for our Delivery and Restaurant Site Reliability teams. SREs in the Delivery group focus on all services related to our driver network and logistics related to delivering food. Delivery SREs oversee how our delivery partners interact with our systems to accept new assignments and deliver your food, the services (and algorithms) which dispatch work to delivery-partners to maximize efficiency while ensuring on-time deliveries, how delivery partners are paid, and so much more! SREs in the Restaurant group ensures that restaurants reliably receive and confirm orders so they can prepare food on time. Restaurant SREs oversee all systems related to restaurant information, such as operating hours and menu items, and make sure that information is up to date and reliably propagated throughout our Grubhub marketplace. Both teams help design and build complex distributed systems at an incredible, highly available, multi-datacenter, scale.
The Impact You Will Make
- Software development around scalability, availability and performance.
- Write lots of code (Java + Python) to enhance the reliability of the services in the delivery ecosystem.
- Help define, maintain, and manage service and business level Service Level Objectives (SLOs).
- Become a subject matter expert on how the platform operates (service discovery, load balancing, monitoring/metrics, et cetera).
What You Bring to the Table
- Tech-savvy and passion: You have an aptitude and eagerness to learn new and complex technologies at Grubhub.
- Strong cross-functional communication: You can explain complex technical information to both technical and non-technical stakeholders in a clear and concise way.
- Detail-oriented problem-solving skills: You enjoy the process of scratching beneath the surface to find the best solution to challenges.
- Curiosity and self-awareness: You’re able to articulate when you may need help and are curious enough to ask questions to gain a deeper understanding.
- Team work: You’re able to work both independently and collaboratively with the team, bringing your best to every interaction and inspiring others to do the same.
- Enthusiasm for Grubhub’s mission: You’re excited to help connect hungry diners with great, local restaurants.
- Strong computer science fundamentals from a college degree in Computer Science, a related field of study, or equivalent experience.
- Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, Python, C++, or C# including object-oriented design.
- 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
- 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience.
- Open to relocate to Remote, New York, Chicago, Philadelphia, or Boston at the conclusion of the program if offered Full-Time employment post-returnship.
- Experience in cloud technologies in public, private, or hybrid environments.
- A high-quality bar and a drive of continuous improvement; just-enough documentation, unit testing, code reviews, test automation, continuous integration & deployment and a preference for agile methods.