GEA is one of the largest suppliers for the food and beverage processing industry and a wide range of other process industries. Approximately 18,000 employees in more than 50 countries contribute significantly to GEA’s success – come and join them! We offer interesting and challenging tasks, a positive working environment in international teams and opportunities for personal development and growth in a global company.
Your responsibilities and tasks:
Job Function Description
The function is a vital part of the GEA joint project team, which takes care of the general coordination and consolidation between the GEA companies involved in the project and interacts directly with the customer. The function is a “GEA PE function”, i.e. it is important that the person owning this function is impartial against the GEA companies and serves the interests of the GEA project rather than a single GEA company.
The function is needed partially through the project design phase, however it should be anticipated that the workload would be 100% from 1 monthsbefore starting the mobilization on site, and throughout the installation, commissioning and testing phase, until end-user plant taking over.
The Site Manager is responsible for erection and co-ordination for commissioning of the plant on time, according to the project budget, within GEA’s quality and safety standards and to the customers satisfaction. The role requires consideration of the impact of design work on procurement, fabrication, construction and operation as well as competitiveness in the marketplace.
Key Management Priorities for the Role
- Head of Installation on site.
- Head of Communication on site.
- Responsible person for HSE (Health, Safety and Environment) on site.
- Head of site organization
Tasks and Responsibilities for the Role Include
- Overall GEA responsible on site, during the complete installation and commissioning period, including plant taking over, and contract closure.
- Acting as customer first point of contact on site.
- Work breakdown of site activities
- Reporting on site labor via time installation activity sheets
- Responsible for insuring Equipment and Material expediting, delivery, storage, access, tracking and all notifications are completed as required
- Supervision of the installation crews.
- Responsible person for the installation quality.
- Responsible of the installation schedule and to convey the necessary information to the Project Manager to update the overall schedule
- Responsible to monitor the installation budget and report deviations to Project Manager
- Assists with Installation Qualification (IQ) and Operational Qualification (OQ) activities
- Coordination of the installation with the Project Management, the customer and other vendors.
- Estimate assembly hours and planning for scope changes during installation
- Responsible person for hazard analysis on site
- Responsible person for management of site consumables on the site
- Responsible person for the tools on site
- Assists in the design and estimating of skilled trades change orders for purposes of obtaining bids for customer installations from subcontractors/vendors during construction.
- Responsible for trouble shooting and value contracting initiatives. Helps control cost targets and establish action plans to meet the budget and achieve goals.
- Instrumental in communication and coordination throughout the project and effective supervision during I/O checkout, commissioning, closing down the project and to ensure that job-cost feedback is furnished to various groups that participated in the project.
- Maintains document control and filing/distributionof documents:
- Responsible for reporting on site activities
- Progress reports
- Request for Information(RFI), Request for Quotes (RFQ), Change Order (CO) and Change Note (CN) logs
- Work with local HSE manager to complete site HSE reports
- Budget and forecastingreports
- Close out meeting for site activities to include documenting lessons learned
Your profile and qualifications:
Experience and Competencies
- The candidate will have experience with site management/supervision, project delivery, and development/optimization from a technical line of work, as well as solid business understanding, preferably from a similar industry.
- Extensive travel will be required, involving extended periods on sites throughout year (85-95% travelling is part of the job).
- Based on the above-mentioned requirements, candidates for the position have demonstrated abilities in the following areas:
Experience in Leading a Regional Site, as proven by:
- Strong sense of achievement; able to drive projects forward, expects good standards of work, tenacious, and able to overcome barriers/ solve problems
- Willingness to find work arounds for the good of the overall project when needed. i.e. GEA and other trades schedule conflicts
- Knowledge of local environment, culture and rules
- A good knowledge of weld quality procedures, including sanitary welds
- Team building skills, communication skills
- Demonstrate organization, time management and prioritization of work.
- Experience with overall site conditions (EHS, Quality, Documentation, Tooling, etc.) – Holistic Vision
- Knowledge of standard equipment to be installed. How to install it and how it should be running. Equipment tests to be done before commissioning. Machinery to be used during installation
- Knowledge of standard warehouse procedures in order to secure and control materials and equipment
- Knowledge of how to handle heavy equipment
- Proven understanding of financial controls, planning and reporting
- People management skills, to be able to instruct staff, deal with difficult staffing situations and maintain a productive, joyful but disciplined working environment (ability to explain and teach various skills to both skilled and unskilled workers)
- Demonstrate planning ahead as far as possible as the project progresses, checking back to plans/programmers regularly
Communication Requirements for the Role
Required Education, Skills and/or Experience
- Advanced knowledge and skills in technical project management including knowledge regarding the integration of theory and principles with sales and service practices
- Full working proficiency in English
- Language for site region would be preferred
- Computer literacy with demonstrated experience in using the Internet, Microsoft Office (i.e., Word, Excel), MS Project mandatory
- Experience with AutoCAD and AutoCAD viewers would be preferred
- Minimum 5 years of experience as site supervisor
- Hygienic design know-how
- Mechanical engineering know-how
- Electrical engineering know-how
Physical Requirements: (See Attached Physical Demands Assessment)
- Sit, stand, bend, reach, walk for long periods of time in office setting
- Must be able to lift/carry 50 lbs.
- Use of steps, stairs, lifts routinely
- May be required to work extended hours which may include weekend and holidays
- Regularly exposed to manufacturing and/or construction areas that may require personal protective equipment
- Regularly exposed to a manufacturing and/or construction work environment that may be cold, dirty, greasy, wet and noisy
- Able to travel 90% of the time