909 - Site Manager
reports to the Vice Pesident of Global Operations Advanced Optics based in German Headquarters.
This position has seven direct salary reports including: Manufacturing, HD production, Engineering Services, Development & Applications, Quality Assurance, Finance (Site Controller), and Supply Chain.
- P&L – $40-60M
- ~200 employees;; mix of union, full time and temp.
- 24/5 operation
- This job is in Scranton, PA area and it is Site Manager.
- A mix of manufacturing and finishing experience in optics would be a good fit.
- This company manufactures their own material as well as selling blanks to other finishers.
- Now they have the capacity to finish their own materials for clients; machining, polishing, grinding, beveling etc.
- There is a union
- 60% tenured employees.
- Previous Site Manager had told them he would be with them for about five years and he left earlier this year.
- Report directly to German Parent.
- Global Sales
- International travel several times a year – Germany and China.
- scientific lab of at least 10 PhD Scientists.
- Goals – continue to upgrade the finishing capabilities under the building. They do both glass melting (optical glass) and glass finishing (advanced optical components and materials).
- Optics are mostly plano optics, flat. The competency is making the raw glass material or importing from Germany, then slicing, dicing, grinding, polishing, coating, glazing the finished glass into precision components. Most of the materials go into defense related sub systems so understanding defense industry is a huge plus but also aerospace.
The Site Manager will provide overall operational, and administrative leadership for the facility.
Scope of Duties:
- Lead, develop, and build up THE COMPANY North America's operation with the main emphasis on growing revenue.
- Promote the future development of the site and contribute pro-actively to the development of the site's strategy.
- Cooperate closely with the Strategic Business Field Head, Product Management, and Sales. Implement Strategic Business Field and innovation roadmaps.
- High comfort level in an international, matrixed environment.
- Focus on the implementation of Lean Operations and Continuous Process Improvement and sustain initiatives in these areas.
- Ensure training of new employees in Lean principles and maintain skill levels of existing employees through training classes and other Lean activities.
- Ensure delivery of goods and services to the business segments or their customers in the required quantity, quality, on time and at agreed upon prices.
- Initiate and ensure the development and sustainable implementation of improved production and supply chain procedures.
- Optimize the use of capacity at the site in agreement with the Head of Global Operations.
- Initiate and ensure the development and sustainable implementation of improved quality, maintenance, engineering, process development and application development procedures.
- Conduct required capacity alignment and ensure cost and quality-effective Capital Expenditures.
- Plan and monitor cost, headcount and Capital Expenditure budgeting and ensure adherence to budgets.
- Lead, support, and motivate employees in all area of responsibility.
- Ensure workplace safety and accident avoidance.
- Ensure process safety and avoidance of environmental incidents.
- Ensure alignment of site with THE COMPANY's vision, mission, and strategy.
- Ensure compliance with the THE COMPANY code of conduct and other THE COMPANY policies.
- Represent the site locally. Serve as the primary point of contact for local authorities and institutions and as the integration person for the employees on site.
- Ensure effective and positive cooperation with the local union representatives.
- Ensure adherence to local laws and to internal and operational guidelines.
- At least 10 years of general management experience or experience in managing multiple supporting functions within a production company.
- Lean operations background with proven experience implementing Lean concepts within a Production, Supply Chain, or Production Services (quality, maintenance, engineering, process development) environment.
- Relevant industry experience; optics industry experience ideal.
- Six Sigma training / certification strongly desired.
- Experience working with a German company is highly desired.
- Extensive knowledge of Environmental, Health, & Safety (EHS) requirements.
- Absolutely dependable, reliable, and trustworthy.
- Hands-on, with a "roll up your sleeves and get dirty" attitude.
- High comfort level in an international environment; attuned to cultural differences.
- Strong verbal communication skills; solid and convincing personality.
- Stable, solid personality; able to quickly establish credibility internally and externally, and within multiple business sectors and business practices.
- Highly motivated, proactive "self-starter" with a clear ability to develop markets.
- Clear customer-orientation with well-founded business acumen.
- Flexible and open to international travel.
- Open and straightforward in communications and actions.
- Education: B.S. degree in Engineering (Industrial), Chemistry, Physics or similar. Additional Business degreepreferred.
- Work Status: U.S. or non-U.S. with residency.
- Language(s): English. Additional German language ability highly desired.
- Other: Car allowance, medical insurance benefits, 401(k), relocation package.