The Telecommunications Division delivers telecommunication infrastructure solutions to utilities, local and state government agencies and the commercial wireless industry. Through a unique combination of experience, expert resources and innovative solutions, Black & Veatch supports the entire range of both legacy and emerging technologies used in today’s wireless and wireline networks, voice, video, Internet and data systems and utility automation.
Manage the deliverables of the site acquisition project which may include: candidate information reports related to leasing and land use viability, lease or other real estate agreements, land use and building permit applications. Provide quality control over deliverables. Supervise outside vendor partners, environmental engineers, architectural & engineering firms, engineers and drafting technicians, title search firms and others to ensure transactions close within defined timeframes. Identify potential risk scenarios. Manage drafting and proofing of recordable transaction documents, easements, warranty deeds, etc. prior to legal department review. Manage and administer the preparation of zoning and permitting applications, monitor progress of the application and facilitate jurisdictional requests for additional information as a result of the application review process. Ensure compliance to the quality and safety goals and objectives.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Manages multiple projects.
• Serves as main client interface which includes providing reports and attending status meetings.
• For new-build projects, responsible for managing site acquisition activities from initial search ring release through Notice to Proceed (NTP).
• For site modification projects, responsible for managing site acquisition activities from leasing and zoning audit through NTP.
• Provides leadership and develops professional career growth opportunities within the Site Acquisition team.
• Assist Proposal Manager with the response to RFPs, RFIs, bids, and other project proposal documents.
• Prepares or reviews reports, forms, correspondence, e-mail messages, logs, budget documents, group goals and objectives.
• Establishes project policies and procedures.
• Implements strategies and priorities to meet client goals.
• Provides training and supervision to the Site Acquisition team.
• Supervises the administration, planning, operations, and work of consultants, subcontractors, and independent contractors
• Communicates with team members and other departments regarding project status.
• Manages quality control of project documents and deliverables.
• Attends or directs field site visits for candidate and engineering viability.
• In complex cases, interviews zoning/permitting personnel to obtain jurisdictional approval requirements.
• Reviews collocation applications and submittals.
• Manages the Site Acquisition Specialists as they coordinate with tower owners and/or private landlords to negotiate and secure lease entitlements as project scope defines.
• Monitors and tracks progress on all open projects.
• Reviews and approves payment of vendor and subcontractor invoices.
• Maintains a high degree of customer service and integrity when dealing with clients.
• Other duties or special projects, as assigned.
• Manages the verification of Enhanced 911 addressing.
• Supervises work of others. Responsible for hiring, discipline, and pay administration of their subordinates. List supervised positions: Site Acquisition Associates and Specialists (ADM Levels 1-4).
Requires 4 year degree, or equivalent work experience. Requires 7 years telecommunications industry experience; 3 years site acquisition and land use experience; 2 years supervisory and/or vendor management experience; real estate, sales, or legal negotiation experience (required). All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
Law degree or Urban Planning degree preferred.
ROW or Small Cell experience with managing, leasing and or permitting.
Reporting to internal and external clients, management of people, organization, critical thinking skills, and strong computer skills.
Preferred Technical Competencies:
• Ability to work independently as well as with others
• Excellent oral and written communications skills
• Excellent problem solving and conflict resolution skills
• Ability to provide audits for quality control of project and site specific documentation
• Real estate, or legal negotiation experience required
• Ability to communicate and negotiate effectively
• Ability to read and comprehend legal documents such as legal descriptions, surveys, ground leases, easements, deeds, land purchase contracts, mortgages, title policies, subordination, and technical drawings
• Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Windows, Excel, Word, and Outlook
• Supports, and complies with the division’s Quality Management System and the Environmental, Safety, Health and Security Program.
Preferred Non-Technical Competencies:
• Process Management • Informing • Customer Focus • Building Effective Teams • Perseverance • Command Skills • Confronting Direct Reports • Directing Others • Learning on the Fly • Priority Setting