We are looking for a CIO / COO to lead the growing Simon Group Holdings ("SGH") family office, founded by Chairman Sam Simon in 1985. Top candidates will have experience designing an investment process for, and actively and successfully growing a $500M+ asset base. These individuals will know how to construct a portfolio which includes a diverse set of active and passive investments that meet or exceed SGH's financial objectives while minimizing overall portfolio risk.
Not merely a portfolio manager, the ideal candidate will have hands-on business operations experience, either directly in a business, or as an active investor with board representation.
In addition to an understanding of the theoretical components underlying a sound investment strategy, the CIO/ COO will have an operations/ execution mindset. This will include the drive to buy and sell companies in a timely and efficient manner, as well as a sophisticated understanding of the use of debt and equity components in deal structuring. On the buy-side, this individual will work with SGH business development professionals and 3rd party deal brokers to source proprietary deal flow which meets SGH's investment objectives, as well as with the Legal and Finance staff to structure winning terms. On the sell-side, this individual will work with 3rd parties and the Legal and Finance staffs to ensure that deals are buttoned-up to effectively go-to-market and maximize shareholder returns.
- Run the family office in a way that ensures that all team members are on the same page at all times. Interface with other Chairman direct reports, including President, Atlas Oil; President, Tech Companies, GC and CFO.
- Own and manage the screening and due diligence process for prospective investments. Able to get into the details of each deal, while always ensuring its overall fit within the SGH portfolio.
- Chair and maximize results from regular Investment Committee meetings, attended by Chairman, other SGH members, and invited guests as required
- Build and leverage existing relationships with investment bankers, consultants, and prospective entrepreneurial company CEOs
- Negotiate new deals, in tandem with or in lieu of Chairman and Sr. Managing Partner
- Develop, independently or with analyst help, advanced Excel models to evaluate investment results
- Partner with financial team on deal room documentation
- 3+ years as CIO of an actively managed family office. Alternatively, 10+ years in key investment roles within a family office. Other CIO responsibilities outside of a family office will be considered for a superior candidate.
- Proven experience in the transactional lifecycle, including thesis development, sourcing, due diligence, transaction lead, execution of investment, exit, and portfolio execution.
- Well-developed business acumen and professional skepticism coupled with the ability to "size-up" situations
- A demonstrated execution mindset and strong project management skills
- Superior ability to influence and communicate with strong internal and external leaders
- Ability to regularly commute to Southeast Michigan. Relocation strongly preferred.
- Track record of working effectively with a hard-charging and demanding Chairman strongly preferred
- Active rolodex of potential debt and equity partners strongly preferred
- 5+ years of progressive, service-side transactional experience strongly preferred.
- 5+ years experience being a part of the deal team, including 3+ years experience leading deals strongly preferred.
- Experience working with a dynamic, demanding, and highly ambitious Chairman / CEO strongly preferred
- Technology savvy, with good knowledge of next-generation family office business systems, strongly preferred
- A proven track record of operational achievement at companies greater than $10mm in revenues and success working at entrepreneurial organizations preferred
Education / Other
- Bachelor's degree required. Finance or Business majors preferred.
- MBA strongly preferred. Finance concentration preferred, especially if the Bachelor's degree is outside of Finance or Business.
- Simon Group Holdings is a big supporter of our military. Veterans of the armed forces are encouraged to apply.
Simon Group Holdings ("SGH") was founded in 1985 by Sam Simon when he founded Atlas Oil Company, headquartered in Taylor, MI. Simon Group Holdings has interest in comprehensive energy solutions, fuel supply, oil field services, logistics and transportation, real estate investment, private equity, technology services, and turnkey modular solutions. In total, the organization employs nearly 1,000 individuals.
The Simon Group Holdings Investment Management Team has active investments throughout the capital stack, including Venture Capital, Private Equity, Mezzanine, and Senior Debt. Its first equity fund, Soaring Pine Capital Growth Fund 1 ("SPC Growth Fund 1"), closed in 2014 and was fully invested in 2017.
Committed to giving back to Detroit and the State of Michigan, Simon Group Holdings has a passion for helping the communities in which they work and operate in. Over the last 25 years, the organization has invested more than $80M and over 40,000 hours in Metro Detroit.
Simon Group Holding's core values are Passion, Collaborative Innovation, Pride and Image, Customer Focus, Solution Driven, and Do the Right Thing.