The Simulation Development Lead serves as a subject matter expert for the development of 3D simulations in the Unity Game Engine. In addition to performing self-guided work that demonstrates in-depth technical knowledge, this position mentors direct reports and provides direction on project plans, schedules, and methodologies. They work with a cross-disciplinary team of game designers, instructional designers, software engineers, writers, artists, and nursing experts to create best-in-class educational simulations that train nurses and healthcare students. This position has direct reports.
- Serve as the initial point of escalation for software development issues within their specific area of responsibility.
- Interface with other technical personnel or team members to finalize requirements. Write and review portions of detailed specifications for the development of system components of moderate complexity.
- Complete complex bug fixes. Resolve complex technical issues as necessary.
- Work closely with other development team members to understand moderately complex product requirements and translate them into software designs.
- Successfully implement development processes, coding best practices, and code reviews.
- Operate in various development environments (Agile, Waterfall, etc.) while collaborating with key stakeholders.
- Mentor and/or train entry-level software engineers as directed by department management, ensuring they are knowledgeable in critical aspects of their roles. Keep abreast of new technology developments.
- Carry out management responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies, procedures, and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; and addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Ensure all staff is provided with training and resources needed to perform their jobs to the most outstanding degree possible. Ensure all staff is provided with frequent feedback and coaching in order to meet and exceed individual and team performance goals consistently.
- Seeks team members’ input and expertise; facilitates open and interactive discussion of matters affecting the team. Encourage new ideas from staff to foster improvements through innovations.
- Empower the staff to be accountable and responsible for their own actions and decisions.
- Helps people to resolve conflicts. Is able to both actively listen to and effectively question to understand viewpoints.
Education and Experience
- 7+ years professional experience developing in Unity 3D or similar game engine. Examples include: uGUI, Cinemachine, Profiler, Animation, URP, WebGL platform, writing custom editor tools, localization, optimization
- BS Engineering/Computer Science or equivalent experience required
- Strong computer science / engineering knowledge; data structures, algorithmic complexities, software design patterns, OOP
- Specialization in computer graphics: knowledge of 3D transforms, graphics pipeline, and shaders
- Professional experience using Object-Oriented Development (e.g. in C#, Java, C++)
- Professional experience using an Agile Methodology e.g. Scrum or Kanban
- Professional experience with version control (e.g. Plastic SCM, Git, etc.) and related branching strategies
- Advanced knowledge of software development methodologies (SAFe 5 Lean Agile)
- Ability to partner and lead technology resources by working to construct project and feature roadmaps
- Strong knowledge of software development practices including but not limited to data structures, algorithmic complexity, design patterns, OOP
- Ability to write and review detailed specifications for the development of complex system components such as UML diagrams and architectural documentation
- Strong organization/project planning, time management, and change management skills across multiple functional groups and departments, and strong delegation skills involving prioritizing and reprioritizing projects and managing projects of various size and complexity.
- Strong problem-solving experience involving leading teams in identifying, researching, and coordinating the resources necessary to effectively troubleshoot/diagnose complex project issues
- Strong communication (verbal and written) and customer service skills. Strong interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills applicable to a wide audience including senior and executive management, customers, etc., including diction/terminology and presenting information in a concise and effective manner to clients, management, and various departments using assorted communication mediums.