The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL), a national leader in scientific research and development, located midway between Baltimore and Washington, DC., is seeking a Signal Processing Engineer.
Job Summary: Signal Processing Engineer sought with specific experience and interest in waveform design to support the development of new concepts and to advance the capabilities of existing Anti-Submarine Warfare (ASW) systems.
- Develop and apply concepts for ASW systems and signal processing for active and passive applications. Efforts will include development of capabilities for existing sensor systems as well as future systems. (40%)
- Design and implement waveforms, signal detection and related algorithms in software. (15%)
- Perform in-depth analysis to assess system performance and develop concepts and strategies for increasing system level performance. (20%)
- Develop test and evaluation plans for new concepts as well as models of system performance. (5%)
- Deliver formal presentations to sponsors and working groups to effectively communicate proposed concepts, solutions and analysis results. (15%)
- Serve as a subject matter expert and provide mentoring to staff. (5%)
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.
: Required Qualifications:
- MSdegree in Electrical Engineering or other related technical discipline
- Minimum of 5-10 years of relevant experience in execution of applied technology efforts
- Experience in the fields of signal processing and waveform design
- Experience designing and developing software in MATLAB
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the capability to effectively interact with all levels of staff and sponsors
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Active DoD Secret or Higher Level Clearance
- PhD in Electrical Engineering or related field
- Experience with sonar system development
- Demonstrated experience in working effectively with senior Navy sponsors
- Broad background and experienceworking with active underwater acoustic systems