The Shipping Manager works with the General Manager and Leadership Team to ensure stores product is processed timely and efficiently to meet level of service goals. The Shipping Manager is responsible for the daily operations
and overall performance of operations in the multi-facilities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other Duties not listed may be assigned.
% of Job
Management, Results and Accountability: 50%
- This position manages 1 exempt supervisor and 57 indirect hourly associates of the department
and is responsible for departmental leadership, Performance management, and hiring and
releasing of all associates within its department in compliance with company policy and HR
- Manages the daily Shipping operations.
- Maintains appropriate staffing level to support efficient operations.
- Responsible for the on-boarding and training of all existing and new associates. Also, responsible
for leading, mentoring, development and succession planning of all shipping associates.
- Manage the daily performance and production goals of 20hourly associates, to include, but not limited to Safety, Quality, Job Knowledge, Production and Attendance.
- Sets and meets daily production goals within set budgetary requirements.
- Responsible for facilitating the flow of merchandise from the vendor to store delivery up to 7 days per week dependent on volume and business needs while maintaining budgetary commitments.
- Responsible for Associates Time and Attendance.
Communication and Customer Service: 25%
- Communicates with all levels of management and associates keeping them Informed of priorities, company goals, company initiatives and relevant departmental Information as needed.
- Communicates, effectively supports and works with the Supply Chain Transportation, Planning and
Analysis, Merchants, Store Operations, and Merchandise Allocation to flow product through the
Distribution Center in the most cost efficient and productive manner.
- Evaluates and analyzes trends to ensure operational effectiveness. Evaluates, recommends and implements process improvement changes.
- Identifies and assists in developing strategies and ROI’s for cost saving ideas and technologies in the Distribution Center.
Team Leadership: 25%
- Responsible for maintaining a positive work environment while supporting the company’s Culture.
- Responsible for fostering a healthy and safe work environment, focusing on the well- being of the Distribution Center associates.
- Maintains and strengthens internal/external customer – supplier relationships. Develops and maintains strong working relationships at all levels; Peers within Operations, Management, Human Resources, Risk Management and Corporate Associates.
- This position manages all associates of the shipping department and is responsible for leadership,
performance management, and hiring and releasing of all associates within its department
in compliance with company policy and HR partnership.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Previous experience with Warehouse Management and Labor Management system implementations preferred, Experience with a variety of supply chain software systems, such as warehouse management systems (i.e. LINK and Manhattan WMOS) Transportation Management Systems (i.e. Oracle, etc.) or related systems desired.
- 5-7+ years of Distribution Center supervisory or management in a high volume operation, managing multiple departments. Must have worked in large Distribution Center networks with multiple locations nationally or internationally.
- Any suitable combination of education and experience will be considered.
- Multi-shift distribution center experience. Some multi-building experience.
- Broad range of managerial skills required with particular emphasis on leadership, supervision, motivation, communication, onboarding, training and planning.
- Ability to develop effective relationships, provide leadership, integrate diverse organizations and individuals toward profitability objectives is critical.
- Strong Leadership skills.
- Knowledge of WMS, and LMS applications.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office software.
- Process Improvement.
- Strong communication, problem solving, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to present materials to large groups- Good public speaking skills.
- Ability to self-motivate, work with a sense of urgency, multi task and prioritize.
- Manage with a detail-oriented approach to work.
- Ability to positively handle conflict.
- Capable of working in a cross-functional environment.
- Ability to meet store service goals.
- Mentoring and Coaching Skills