With direction from the Plant Manager, the Shift Supervisor position is accountable for safety, quality, productivity, preventive maintenance, equipment repair, cost performance, and employee relations in a high performance work team environment. The job demands monitoring maintenance performance and implementing processes, procedures, and methods to improve results in all key functional areas. The position is responsible for implementing and maintaining best manufacturing practices and regulatory compliance for all maintenance activities.
- Ensure the safety of all employees, lead a comprehensive safety program to prevent injuries. Comply with all federal, state and local environmental and safety regulations (EPA, SOHA, etc.)
- Responsible for leadership in Safety Champion Programs.
- Hire, train, direct and mentor staff on all three shifts.
- Develop subordinates through education, training and teamwork.
- Lead maintenance department in continuous improvement initiatives, through SPS (Sonoco Performance System)
- Assist in preparation of annual plant operating budget. Meet or exceed plant productivity, cost, or other performance metric expectations as outlined by production manager.
- Identify, propose and implement capital projects to improve operational performance.
- Coordinate maintenance scheduling to meet production demands, to manage overtime, and to reduce costs.
- Ensure employees complete required safety and quality checks and audits.
- Ensure preventive maintenance program is maintained and reviewed periodically for improvements and/or upgrades as needed.
- Coordinate plant equipment maintenance and repair.
- Support machine installation or removal as needed.
- Build and maintain productive employee relationships, driving employee satisfaction. Provide coaching, counseling, or discipline as needed. Recommend disciplinary action to production manager and review disciplinary actions for effectiveness and consistency. Work with HR to address employee concerns and issues.
- Four-year degree preferred.
- Technical background required.
- Minimum of 5 years management experience and at least 5 years experience in industrial maintenance required.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills