About Mars, Incorporated
Mars is a family-owned business with more than a century of history making diverse products and offering services for people and the pets people love. With almost $35 billion in sales, the company is a global business that produces some of the world's best-loved brands: M&M's®, SNICKERS®, TWIX®, MILKY WAY®, DOVE®, PEDIGREE®, ROYAL CANIN®, WHISKAS®, EXTRA®, ORBIT®, 5™, SKITTLES®, UNCLE BEN'S®, MARS DRINKS and COCOAVIA®. Mars also provides veterinary health services that include BANFIELD® Pet Hospitals, Blue Pearl®, VCA® and Pet Partners™. Headquartered in McLean, VA, Mars operates in more than 80 countries. The Mars Five Principles – Quality, Responsibility, Mutuality, Efficiency and Freedom – inspire its more than 100,000 Associates to create value for all its partners and deliver growth they are proud of every day.
Purpose of Role
This is an operations shift manager position which supervises multi- production area on one shift of operation. This manager will coordinate the short term activities of this area within established guidelines and standards to produce the highest quality, lowest cost product in the safest and most efficient manner. The Shift Manager will facilitate teams in his/her area of responsibility and conduct or coordinate the necessary training for both the individual associates and the team. This manager will implement and enforce established policy and strategy.
Continuous improvement is a key aspect of this role. It will be accomplished through developing and maintaining an organization that demonstrates improvement by continuously driving faults lower.
- Conversion - Manage the efforts of operating teams of a multi- line, area or technology on one shift in the efficient conversion of materials into quality products in a safe, secure and sanitary manner within the product design specifications.
- Change Agent - Recommend and implement changes in methods, equipment, systems and organization, as needed, to assure that the objectives of the line/area are met.
- Associate Advocacy - Manage associate relations issues and guide and direct the hiring, training, retraining, development and motivation of Operations associates following self-managed, team working principles with a minimum degree of guidance from the Operations Manager. Gallup Engagement surveys will be used to determine individual effectiveness in this area and assure site to site consistency.
- Goal Setting and Measurement - With the general guidance of the Operations Manager and through Operations teams, establish line performance standards and goals, and measure, control, take corrective action and report results as appropriate.
- Troubleshooting - At this stage of technical development, and under the general guidance of the Operations Manager, the Line Manager utilizes the technical resources on shift for the preventive maintenance, repair and troubleshooting of process/packaging equipment problems, with the objective of effectively using these resources to achieve desired performance levels.
- Communications - Ensure that open communications are established and that opportunities to broaden the scope and responsibility of Operations teams/associates are undertaken.
- Technology Advancement - Advise the Operations Manager when opportunities exist for moving the line/area forward in technological change.
- Operations Strategy - Participate with the Operations Manager in the implementation of improvement strategies that will help the line/area perform more effectively in the near term.
- Associate Development - Evaluate associate performance and develop, in conjunction with associate's plans, to challenge their potential.
- Personal Development - Keep abreast of the managerial and technical competencies, both within and outside Mars Petcare US.
- An Associate's degree, preferably in one of the Engineering, basic sciences or business related disciplines.
- 5 years experience in a Production Environment.
- 3 years experience in a supervisory or managerial role.
- Working knowledge of Good Manufacturing Practices.
- Ability to convey communications clearly and concisely.
- Understanding of major functions within the plant and the ability to work directly with all levels and functions.
- Successful completion of a drug and background screen.
- Advanced Degree
- Demonstrated experience working in Quality
- Demonstrated experience working in safety.
- Minimum 1 year experience in a food production environment
- Minimum 7 years in a Production Environment
- Minimum 5 years in a supervisory or managerial role
- Project Management
- Proficiency in word processing, spreadsheets, internet software, e-mail.
- Ability to work any shift as needed
- Ability to tolerate an ambiguous environment.
- Functional knowledge and understanding of HACCP concepts
- Experience in plant sanitation practices and procedures