Job Description & Qualifications
Strong technical contributor in one or more highly specialized phases of applications programming. Provides design recommendations based on long-term IT organization strategy. Provides expertise regarding the integration of applications across the business.
Major Tasks, Responsibilities and Key Accountabilities
- Defines, designs, and oversees the systems and applications architecture for both current and future business applications.
- Evaluates new and emerging technologies and developmental methodologies to find faster, cost effective, and more reliable solutions for existing and proposed systems.
- Partners with infrastructure, application, and quality teams to ensure that applications meet business requirements, are well documented, and have processes in place for ongoing support and maintenance.
- Scopes and implements appropriate process improvement tools and techniques such as Six Sigma, Lean Sigma, and ITIL.
- Drives standard and efficient applications and infrastructure design by aligning the infrastructure roadmap with the application technology strategy, hardware vendor roadmaps, and service capabilities.
- Applies judgment in implementing Application Engineering methodologies, processes, and practices to specific requirements of projects/programs which may include product design engineering, information security, code maintainability, and reliability.
Nature and Scope
- Displays the highest level of critical thinking and analysis in bringing successful resolution to high-impact, complex, and/or cross-departmental problems. Makes prompt, sound decisions when faced with complex and often contradictory alternatives that result in successful outcomes.
- Operates with considerable latitude. Situations may have little or no precedent requiring original or new concepts or approaches without guidance from others. Reaches decisions under conditions of uncertainty.
- Develops or engages/directs others in developing innovative solutions to important, highly complex strategic and operating problems; cross-departmental considerations are often present.
- Located in a comfortable indoor area. Any unpleasant conditions would be infrequent and not objectionable.
- Most of the time is spent sitting or standing in the same location and/or there may be a need to stoop regularly or move/lift light material or equipment (typically less than 8 pounds).
- Typically requires overnight travel less than 10% of the time.
Education and Experience
- Typically requires BS/BA in a related discipline. Generally 8+ years of experience in a related field OR MS/MA and generally 5+ years of experience in a related field. Certification is required in some areas.
Preferred Qualifications & Job Specific Details
The Application Architect is a key member of the ServiceNow implementation project team and is responsible for the overall design of the application, mapping business requirements to systems/technical requirements, ensuring best practices are followed, and staying up to date with ServiceNow functionality.
- Lead all aspects of solution delivery including:
- Solutions Architecture, with specific emphasis on leading efforts involving Process, Solution Design, and Integration
- Scoping complex initiatives typically involving multiple ServiceNow products and system integrations
- Technical Leadership and assurance of best practices
- Design, Build, and Deploy required enhancements to the ServiceNow Platform
- Implementation of ServiceNow for ITSM, ITOM, HR, Service Portal, custom application development, and other modules
- Documentation of functional design and technical requirements
- Maintain expert ServiceNow knowledge through self-study and utilization of available training
- Lead platform upgrades and patches
- Provide production support and troubleshooting
- Provide guidance on ServiceNow Development lifecycle
- Assist with technical program level activities including the rollout of client center of excellence (COE), delivery assurance and realization of customer journey
- Participate in internal projects as required
- 5-8 years of experience in design and implementation of ServiceNow including ITSM, ITOM, HR, Service Portal
- 5-8 years of experience with SSO, SAML, Web Services, ODBC, REST. Expert knowledge in integrating multiple sources by following fundamental design principles for a scalable application
- 5 years of experience in UI Actions, UI Policies, Glide records, Script Includes, Business Rules, & ACLs within the ServiceNow framework.
- 5 years of experience in Service Catalog design or configuration
- 5 years of experience in applying user interface best practices
- 3 years of experience with ServiceNow discovery, event management, and/or data reconciliation
- 3 years of experience with Service Portal development, including widgets
- Ability to understand business requirements and convert them into solution designs. Must demonstrate good judgment and pragmatic approach to delivering a solution that optimizes architecture activities across company needs, business constraints and technological realities.
- Experience building responsive web applications optimized for speed and cross-browser compatibility
- Understanding of ITIL best practices
- Experience with Agile Development methodologies
- Experience producing technical designs, well documented code, and writing unit tests
- Excellent collaboration & communication skills with the ability to convey technical information to technical and non-technical audiences
- Ability to learn technologies quickly through instruction and self-training. Ability to research and recommend solutions based on industry best practice.
- B.S. degree in Computer Science, MIS, Information Security, or equivalent preferred