The Service Manager is responsible for the direct supervision of all truck mechanics and technicians, managing shop operations to efficiently turnaround fleet assets between rentals and perform service work on customer owned trucks, maintaining inventory levels and accuracy of repair and resale parts inventories and maintaining a safe and efficient work environment. This position requires travel to make field service and repair calls from time to time and to attend any required training.
Essential Functions of the Job:
- Notify customers in advance that their rented truck is coming due for a PM, send PM notification and verification package. Follow up as needed to be sure the customers are completing the PMs.
- Occasionally make sales calls to current customers and prospects to solicit service business.
- Regularly make phone calls to current customers and prospects for follow up of completed service jobs, soliciting service business and generally build customer relations.
- Prepare quotations for customer service work and review with store manager.
- Prepare quotation for charge backs and send to customers within 24 hours per policy.
- Be the point person to resolve all disputes with customers on charge backs, get support from the location manager when needed.
- Organize, schedule and deliver service and maintenance training classes held at the store location for customers using materials provided by corporate. Factory engineers and technicians can supplement.
SHOP WORK FLOW
- Constructing and assigning daily shop work orders and schedules to complete fleet service work and customer service jobs.
- Developing daily and weekly job work schedules for trucks needing service and PM work.
- Supervising and approving "check in" and "check out" status reports s of all trucks.
- Daily morning huddle with shop staff to review prior day's progress.
- Maintain a clean and respectable facility, equipment and work environment.
- Spend adequate time on the shop floor to ensure efficient and safe work practices are followed.
- Spend time on the shop floor assisting with troubleshooting and diagnosing service issues for the purpose of teaching and training the staff.
- Work alongside shop personnel as required in peak times.
- Schedule and coordinate all service work with outside service providers, chassis dealers etc.
- Execute weekly cycle counts to insure inventory accuracy.
- Ordering of parts inventories
- Ordering of shop supplies.
- Ordering of shop tools and equipment after review with store manager.
- Monitor and record mileage using GPS data to track PM intervals to ensure PM work is completed consistently as required.
- Create a schedule to track when all inspections are due on trucks, DOT, Tank, etc.
- Manage all costs of rental operations within budget.
- Use Magentrix Service database to record service issues reported on customer owned trucks.
- Create a excel database to record all issues with new trucks coming from the factory. Provide monthly report to the location manager for review and submission to the Fleet Operations Manager.
- Prepare weekly Make Ready, Maintenance and Service Jobs report.
- Prepare monthly Service Jobs Summary report for customer owned trucks showing completed Jobs and jobs in process.
- Manage labor utilizationreport and prepare monthly
- Identify training needs for shop staff.
- Work with manager to recruit and hire shop staff.
- Provide all required safety training using training materials provided by the corporate office.
- Establish goals and objectives with all direct reports that positively impact the performance of the business. Conduct monthly reviews to insure progress is being made and to provide direction and assistance.
- Insure all staff maintain a professional appearance and conduct themselves in a professional and respectable manner.
- Insure all policies and procedures are being followed.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSA's):
- Knowledge of and ability to troubleshoot and diagnose hydraulic and electrical systems.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret technical data, drawings and schematics.
- Sound knowledge of and ability to troubleshoot and diagnose truck engine and chassis systems.
- Good computer skills, including Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Demonstrated computer skills to effectively use company business systems for the administration of shop actives.
- Must be very organized and possess the ability to multi-task.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to work and lead as part of a team.
- Self-motivated, shows complete accountability, is timely in all assignments.
- Establishes credibility and trust easily, respects confidentiality and ethical standards.
Education and Experience:
Five (5) to ten (10) years' experience in similar shop management role.
Ten (10) years of industrial mechanic experience, heavy equipment or heavy truck experience
High School Diploma - Required
Two (2) to four (4) Yrs. continued education in applicable area - Preferred.
Two (2) to four (4) Yrs. Continued education in business or management fields - Preferred