- SAIC is seeking a Server & Storage Architect to join our MSI team supporting the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- The Server & Storage Architect designs IT system used for compute and storage which require the integration of devices and complex components to provide Customers with their desired business mission capabilities.
- Activities include capturing evolving business needs, defining operational and integration requirements, researching and modeling the system architecture and configuration, investigating alternatives, performing cost analysis, estimation and decision analysis to create compute and storage solutions.
- The Server & Storage Architect will work closely with our Customer’s Server, Storage and Data Center service providers to integrate the MSI’s Service Management System with their computational and storage systems.
- This integration include both technical integration and the application of MSI service management processes.
- This also includes the integration of identity and access controls within the compute and storage environments, and the exchange of information in support of a common IT financial model.
- The Server & Storage Architect ensures the logical and systematic conversion of requirements into compute and storage system solutions that acknowledge technical, schedule, and cost constraints.
- This involves performing functional analysis, timeline analysis, requirements allocation and interface definition studies to translate requirements into hardware and software specifications.
- This also involves monitoring and reporting service capacity and availability, and statistical analysis of trends to proactively identify areas for continued improvement.
- The Server & Storage Architect will work to achieve efficiencies via the standardization and automation of services; with the objective of rapidly providing compute and storage capabilities to Customers with business mission needs.
- The Server & Storage Architect will either assist or lead development, modernization and enhancement planning for compute and storage services.
The Server & Storage Architect will:
- Be a Problem Solver and Solutions Generator. Develop technical solutions to complex compute and storage problems which require the regular use of ingenuity and creativity.
- Have Freedom to Act. Work is performed without appreciable direction. Exercise considerable latitude in determining technical objectives. Exercise judgment in selecting methods, techniques and evaluation criteria. Completed work is reviewed vis-à-vis the resulting changes in service delivery performance.
- Impact Team Success. Be a team player who contributes directly to the accomplishment of program objectives and goals.
- Be a Liaison. Represent the MSI as a prime technical contact on compute and storage services. Interact with senior external personnel on technical matters often requiring coordination between organizations. The Server & Storage Architect applies extensive compute and storage technical expertise and has knowledge of other related IT disciplines.
Background / Experience
- Required Experience. Candidates with a Bachelor’s degree are required to have at least nine (9) years of experience with remotely managed compute and storage services. Experience would include server and storage configuration control, change control, managed backup, high availability services, Tier II and Tier III customer service, data replication, disaster recovery, remote hosting and Platform as a Service (PaaS). Candidates with a Master’s degree are required to have at least five (5) years of experience.
- Cloud Hosting. Experience with cloud hosting and virtual storage is required. Past experience creating integrated solutions that incorporate VMware storage is a strong plus.
- Data Center. Experience with data center operations and maintenance is preferred.
- State & Local Government. Experience with state & local government customers is a strong plus.
Security Clearance Requirement
- US Citizen. Must be able to pass a Commonwealth of Virginia background check.
- Requirements Capture. The ability to listen to Customers and capture their business capability needs. The ability to then translate Customer business capability needs into technical requirements.
- Analysis. The ability to perform design analysis functions. The ability to measure, via analysis, how service capacity and availability are changing over time, and to understand cause and effect.
- Design. The ability to craft a design solution and produce both technical specifications and information that informs business decision-making.
- Project Management. The ability to structure and execute a project in accordance with PMBOK® (Project Management Body of Knowledge) best practices.
- Communications and Presentation Skills. The ability to simplify technical complexities and present solutions in terms that resonate with decision-makers and Customers seeking business capabilities.
Education / Certifications / Other
- Academic Degree. Bachelor’s degree in engineering, science or mathematics is preferred.
- Continual Learning. Past continual learning, via completion or course work or attainment of credentials and certifications, is preferred.
- ITIL Certification. Candidates who have completed ITIL v3 2011 Foundation or above are preferred.
- Location. Work will be performed in Richmond, VA.
- Productivity Software. MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook Calendar, Project, and Access), Adobe Reader, MS Sharepoint, and Visio.
- Server Operating Systems. System Administrator experience with Unix, Linux, and Windows Server operating systems and virtualization.
- Remote Management Tools. The ability to use remote management tools.